What better way to start a new week than with some laughs and candid stories about some Instagram photos? Lame, I know. Just go with it…
For those who aren’t familiar, “Behind the Instagram” is a series I started last year where I share what was happening outside the four corners of a filtered Instagram photo. Usually it’s me spilling food or embarrassing myself but sometimes it’s deeper and more personal. Regardless, it’s proof that social media is a highlight reel. Take things with a grain of salt.
Behind the Instagram #7
1. After finishing a hot and sweaty run, I went inside to make this electrolyte drink (side note, it’s called Liquid IV and I love it). I’d typically drink it inside to, you know, cool off, but I went back outside and sat on the pavement to take the photo. Then, my dad came home from the gym and a) almost hit me with the car because I was sitting in his spot and b) thought I was stretching. Sure, I was doing stretching too…
I joke and complain a lot about the Florida heat (today was one of those days ?) but in all seriousness, the heat is SERIOUS- especially when it comes to exercise and hydration. . I had the opportunity to try @liquidiv’s Hydration Multiplier, an all-natural powder drink mix with 3x the electrolytes of leading sports drinks (but no crappy ingredients). Made from pure beet sugar, salt, potassium and water, just mix the powder into water and you’re good to go. It’s lemon lime flavored so it tastes like (a better version of) Gatorade. I used it this morning aaaaand I’m hooked ??#liquidiv #runhappy
2. I actually shared the “behind the scenes” in the caption of this post. I was running in D.C. and apparently looked pretty desperate taking my own selfies in front of the Lincoln Memorial because another runner offered to take this photo. I took some photos of her in return. If not for her, you would have gotten an up-close-and-personal shot of my face. You lucked out.
Oh hey, Abe ?? I know you were dying to know….My little trip was to DC to visit family! Feeling really lucky that I got to do my long run along part of the marathon course I’ll be running in a few months. Shoutout to the runner who saw me taking a selfie and offered to grab this photo ?? #runhappy #rundc #marinecorpsmarathon #runwiththemarines
A photo posted by Emily (@myhealthyishlife) on
3. This day was a rough one. I didn’t sleep well, my stomach felt off and my day was just all over the place. Not productive and defeating. Hence the smoothie bowl at 2 p.m…such a random time. I’d already eaten lunch but was hungry so I made this as a snack. I needed some distraction so I took the time to make the almond butter drizzle look somewhat decent. Whatever works.
If you don’t like green smoothies the color probably looks unappetizing, sorry! For me it was a bright spot in an otherwise frustrating day. It’s the little things.
4. I don’t typically eat food in bed. On the couch? Yes, all the time. I tried to sit in bed with this one to a) get the relaxed vibe and b) escape the dogs who were jumping on me. I didn’t last long until I moved to the table. Spilling in bed, which was actually my sister’s bed because she has better lighting (shhhh), wasn’t about to happen.
5. My Instagram
husband mom worked some dog and camera magic with this one. I originally thought it would be cute to pose with sunflowers (kind of concerning that I think about these things…#diditforthegram) but my mom suggested holding Archie. He’s cuter than flowers anyway.
Archie, however, doesn’t love being held. We took probably 30 photos to get one with him looking at the camera. But this one deleted scene was a close runner-up for gold. If you need to smile, hold a puppy. I sure needed his love that day.
6. I’m a kombucha lover. Not new news but just a reminder. GT’s is my favorite brand, Trilogy is my favorite flavor. However, 50% of the time that flavor explodes on me. Like overflows/fizzes/makes a mess. I’m really cautious not to shake it for that reason, but just driving over bumps might be enough to rile it up. Cut to the chase –> this baby exploded after opening and I lost 1/4 of it. Luckily I opened it over the sink…I’ve learned my lesson the hard way.