So…I got glutened.
For any new readers (hi!), I have celiac disease, which means I follow a very strict gluten-free diet. Beyond the obvious “don’t eat bread” rule, for celiacs, it means worrying about cross-contamination and hidden sources of gluten. Eating at restaurants is generally very challenging. I have my go-to places but even those aren’t perfect. Hence this situation.
Whether it was part of a streak of “bad luck,” a weak immune/digestive system or just because I’ve managed a few good years without an incident and was due for one, I got glutened this past weekend after eating at a restaurant. Won’t name names but I mentioned it in Monday’s post, which I wrote before I realized the situation.
It knocked me out in a way that felt all too familiar to life pre-diagnosis. Couch/bedridden for pretty much 48 hours, zero appetite, bloating, fatigue, pain and general blah-ness. I followed all the recommended remedies but it just took time, fluids and rest. I woke up feeling much better on Wednesday and then almost completely normal on Thursday (when I’m writing this).
Now that I’m mostly back in action, I’m choosing to have fun with it via light-hearted meme-filled post. Lemons into lemonade.
This totally applies to any time you’re sick, so change the “glutened” to your illness of choice.
Thoughts From the #Glutened Life
1. Seriously, what did I do to deserve this?
2. I want revenge.
3. I don’t remember what it feels like to be healthy.
4. How am I not hungry? I’m ALWAYS hungry.
5. Or maybe eating will make me feel better?
6. Nope. Can’t stomach anything.
7. *Takes a two-hour nap* Am I better?
8. I guess I’ll watch this Olympic water polo match. (Then I suddenly get really into it…)
9. *Opens Instagram* *Sees food and non-glutened people* *Closes Instagram*
10. Ok, I’m over this (being glutened and water polo).
11. *48 hours later* Is that hunger I feel?
12. I survived this. I’m literally so awesome.
Happy Friday! Hope you all have a great weekend.