*Don’t forget to enter my blogiversary giveaway! The contest runs until Tuesday 5/24. *
My main inspiration for this post (and workout) can be summarized in one line: “He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious.”
Hearing “Sk8er Boi” on the radio last week was enough for me to remember the glory that was the music of the early 2000’s. Side note: why the heck does she spell it that way? Since most of the pop-ish music of that time was before I started running in 2007, many songs never made it on playlists. That’s probably why I never really got sick of them. But now I want to bring them back, even if I’m alone in this desire.
I titled this playlist “throwback” even though I’m not sure what the qualifications for a “throwback” are. The ’90s? ’80s? Earlier? I know people would make fun of me if I said “old-school” or anything like that, so throwback it is. Heck people hashtag #TBT (throwback Thursday) for posts from last year. Most of these songs are from 10-15 years ago.
I did this workout on the spin bike in my gym and listened to the playlist during a run. These songs are great for any cardio workout….or solo car-jam session. I won’t judge.
*I work on a resistance scale from 5-10. 5 being your flat road and 10 being peddling through mud *
- The Boys of Summer- Warm-Up: find your flat road and focus on waking up your legs (5/10)
- Pon De Replay- Jumps on the chorus: 4 counts seated, 4 counts standing in position 2, stay in position 2 in between rounds (6/10)
- Dance, Dance– Moderate hill seated: move out to 3 and pick up pace on the chorus (7-8/10)
- Sk8er Boi- Sprints on a hill: flat road on the chorus, increase resistance to an 8/10 and sprint in position 3 on the chorus; lower resistance in between sprints
- Toxic- Jumps on the chorus: start 4 counts seated, 4 counts standing in position 2; run in position 2 in between rounds (7/10)
- Fighter- Heavy hill in 3: pick-up the pace on the chorus (8-9/10)
- Crazy in Love-*Active recovery*: Light/moderate hill in positions 2 and 3 (6/10)
- Get Up- Jumps: continuous 4×4 count (6-7/10)
- SexyBack- Moderate hill: in positions 2 and 3 (7/10)
- Gone- Moderate hill seated: pick up the pace on the chorus (7-8/10)
- Just Like a Pill- Heavy hill in position 3: pick up the pace on the chorus (8-9/10)
- 4ever- Flat road sprints on the chorus (5/10)
- My Happy Ending– Cool down
Here’s the Spotify playlist: