No intro, right to the thoughts today. Thanks, Amanda!
1. I don’t remember ever having such a bad reaction to pollen. Either I eliminated it from memory or this season is out of control. I’ve had a killer headache for the better part of 2 weeks and the only things that help are sleep and ice packs on my head. Oh, I guess Claritin, to an extent. Ok, complaints of the day are done.
2. In an effort to eat for optimal gut health (more on that soon), I’ve added more fermented foods to my diet. I drink kombucha regularly but recently starting having about a tablespoon of sauerkraut with breakfast. It is an acquired taste so I’m surprised that I like it. My breakfasts lately would seriously make my 7-year-old Life-cereal-eating-self cringe.
3. Please tell me you watched the NCAA Finals game on Monday? To no one’s surprise, I fell asleep with about 5 minutes to go in the game so I missed the seeing the beyond-spectacular ending live. I get chills watching the replays.
4. On the other hand, my dad went to the game in Houston and all I got was this lousy hat. I’ve always wanted to say that. And the hat isn’t really lousy…
5. One more sports topic…UCONN Women’s Basketball. I don’t care if you hate sports, these women are freaking awesome and deserve all the respect. 4 championships in a row. A dynasty.
6. You all know my love of the spiralizer…it’s clear in most of my food posts and recipes (zoodles, coodles and swoodles, duh!). I’ve been wanting to add to my repertoire of spiralized-foods, so this week I made turnip and jicama noodles. Toodles and joodles? Both were surprisingly easy to spiralize (much easier than sweet potatoes) and look almost identical as noodles.
It must have been my first time trying turnips because it was definitely a new-to-me taste. More cabbage-like. I sautéed them with coconut milk, salt and pepper.
The jicama noodles were crunchy, like jicama, obviously. Once softened in the pan they were a really good dinner side and salad topping. Along with sautéing the noodles I made two jicama tortillas/fritters in the Panini press. My fellow health-foodie cousin texted me saying I needed to make these and she was right :) Next time I’ll make them larger so I can actually stuff and top them with things.
7. On a completely different note, I have a half marathon this weekend. I’m an ambassador for the Iron Girl Clearwater Half Marathon and I’m (mostly) ready to run. I need to make a new playlist on Spotify so any music suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. Current favorite song: Work From Home
8. Lastly, a few articles of interest:
Will You Sprint, Stroll or Stumble Into a Career?– NY Times
These Are The Fitness Trends Everyone Was Obsessed With The Year You Were Born– Redbook Magazine (My birth year it was boot camp classes!)
Link Together, Lead Together debuts in NYC, LA– Well + Good (Love this concept!)
Click To Tweet
Have a great Thursday!