A healthy alternative to the classic football appetizer. These baked BBQ wings are made with a paleo and gluten-free sauce. Great for Superbowl Sunday.
Baked BBQ Wings seem kind of random for my first recipe, right? I bet you were predicting something involving salmon or almond butter. Trust me, we’ll get to those. Well, I was inspired by a few factors: Whole30, Superbowl Sunday and my dad. As if I haven’t talked about it enough, my mom and I are doing the Whole30 challenge. My dad wants it to be known that he is NOT doing the Whole30 challenge. However, because he has been good at not tempting us with wine, chocolate or coffee creamer, I wanted to make him something atypical from our meals of late. A healthyish take on a classic football food.
Football is OUR sport. Even if the Eagles (our team) break our hearts every year, football is our thing. Always has been. Since the upcoming Superbowl falls on the last weekend of Whole30 I wanted to make something that a) he would genuinely like and b) I could eat.
Instead of frying the wings I baked them (with a few spices) and used a Whole30-approved sauce from one of my new favorite brands, Tessemae’s. Could I have made my own sauce? Yes, but I’m all about making things simple and practical. Plus, when the ingredients are as clean as Tessemae’s there’s no need.
I found them in the produce section at Whole Foods the other week and I’m now a big fan. I’m thoroughly impressed with their variety of flavors and simple ingredients. Not sponsored, just sharing a cool brand.
I was nervous that the wings would be obviously healthy. I mean, I thought they were good but my dad is very picky and can smell kale a mile a way. He seriously asked me five times if there was “kale, quinoa, cauliflower, kombucha or any weird thing” in there. I was happy to say it was completely kale-free, but still a healthy alternative to the fried-version.
Click To Tweet
Verdict: he ate seven of them for lunch and asked me to make them again for Superbowl Sunday. I might serve these along with kale chips and guacamole, because he can’t escape the kale forever. All about that healthyISH.
The Eagles might not be playing next weekend but at least we’ll be eating well…despite rooting for opposite teams.
- 1 lb chicken wings (about 12-15 per pack)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or oil of choice)
- 1 tsp salt + pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- (Optional: 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup of Tessemae's BBQ sauce (or hot sauce of choice)
- 1 tsp of ghee
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place a wire rack on-top of baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine softened ghee (or oil), spices and wings. Mix with hands until wings are thoroughly covered.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
- In saucepan, heat BBQ sauce and ghee (or oil substitute) and bring to boil.
- Once finished cooking, remove wings from oven and lightly coat them in sauce.
- Place back in oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, pour additional sauce on wings (if desired).
- Serve hot or let cool. They are great both ways!
- Pat wings dry and let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before cooking.
PIN FOR LATER