By this point we all know that what we see on Instagram is not the full story. Aside from the filters, staging and styling and posing, the EMOTIONS and life behind the camera can never be captured. Captions do help, but it’s not as raw as a blog post, video or, the obvious, a conversation with someone offline.
Behind my Instagram is a confused millennial (how many times have I used that annoying description?) who tends to over think the simple yet often all-consuming world of social media. Behind my Instagram is a someone who usually eats cold (not pretty) leftovers but somehow has a food-based account. Behind my Instagram is a blogger who preaches authenticity but wonders if she should admit to having a mental breakdown last night or keep the caption short and sweet and save the story for the blog.
Behind my Instagram is a young adult slightly overwhelmed with life. She posts when she can and what she wants (now more than ever) and still LOVES the creative aspect of social media. She planned to take over the world, but got a little tired. She’s not going anywhere but constantly re-evaluating and improving.
What’s behind YOUR Instagram?
Now for the stories of some recent photos…food and not. I love that other people have started sharing their Behind The Instagrams, too! If you post one, tag me so I can help spread the non-filtered love.
Behind The Instagram #9
See previous Behind the Instagram posts here
1. This was Election Day and I, like everyone else in the country, was a bit on edge. CNN had been on (my own fault) for like 48 hours at this point and I think that lunch was the first time I muted it. I did not admit this in the caption (out of embarrassment and frustration) but I dropped some avocado slices on the floor. Avocados were like $5 each at this time so I 3-second-ruled the ish out of that. I couldn’t deal with the election and the thought of wasting an overpriced avocado.
Oh, and as I wrote in my caption, I listened to Dr. Mark Hyman’s Fat Summit online. I highly recommend following him if you have an interest in functional medicine and/or gut health.
Vote yes for healthy fats ✅??. I’m temporarily muting CNN and tuning in to day 2 of @markhymanmd’s Fat Summit. Highly suggest if you’re interested in taking back (and learning more about) your health. A variety of topics and engaging speakers! #lunch
2. Can you tell I had just gotten a manicure? Trust me, if my nails look good, Instagram followers will know. This was the result of a very subtle outdoor smoothie photoshoot. There weren’t any good, solid backgrounds so a small flower-pot next to the garbage can was my best bet.
Sunny and 90 degrees is enough justification for this purchase. I try to make smoothies at home ($$) but I’ve been out and about all day ??♀️My go-to combo: almond milk, spinach, kale, 1/2 avocado, strawberries, cinnamon, almond butter ??#smoothie #fallinflorida
3. One day I will live in a house with both regular and white brick walls because both are prime Instagram backgrounds. This was taken in a *public place* with *LOTS* of people around. Go me? I sucked up the awkwardness because I wanted the background. At least four people commented that they thought it was a good set-up so that was a confidence boost.
Today is a day to smile, stand tall and spread love. Less hate, more athleisure ??? #thatsthespirit #ad
4. I was driving home one evening and went slightly over the speed limit to catch the end of the sunset. I left groceries in the car and sprinted in flip-flops out to the dock to take this photo. Let me repeat that…I sprinted out to the dock. As someone who hasn’t run (fast or much at all) in months, that was a workout. It was probably .25 mile from my car and I was embarrassingly out of breath. Sunsets wait for no one.
It was worth it…this view was everything I needed at the end of a mentally stressful day. It was God’s way of calming me down, although I had to hurry up to get there. I can’t decide if I like sunrises or sunsets better, but luckily I don’t have to choose.
She was a beauty tonight ✨No matter how often I see a sunset on the water (and I’m so lucky to see them every night), I’m always in awe…it’s magical. Friendly reminder to stop and smell the roses, watch the sunset or pet the dog. There is joy in life’s simple pleasures :) #tampa #hometownlove #unlocktampabay
5. My mom bought me this glass at Home Goods a few weeks before Halloween to take a seasonal photo (an awesome $2 find!). I tried THREE times to make a somewhat appetizing orange-colored smoothie. After I finally nailed it (and it didn’t taste too pumpkin-y) I thought I was being so cool by saving the photo to post on National Pumpkin Day. After I eventually posted it, I realized I got the date wrong. Those damn DUMB food holidays. Not the worst thing in the world but it would have been much easier to just fill the glass with Gingerade kombucha for Halloween.
Cheers, witches ? . Pumpkin smoothie: -Almond milk -1 large scoop of pumpkin purée -Frozen strawberries -1 (large) spoonful of coconut butter -2 scoops of @vitalproteins collagen -Cinnamon -Ice #smoothie #goodmoodfood #nationalpumpkinday
Linking up to Thinking Out Loud. Thanks, Amanda!