Who else loves Instagram? Who else uses Instagram to show the highlights of their day? (*Insert hand-raised emoji for both those questions). Once you are media literate, meaning that you don’t take photos or information for face value, social media can be fun.
But first, my rules:
1) Always remember the 72 other pictures taken to get the perfect one
2) The filter(s)
3) The flattering angles
4) That the photo you see is one second of someone’s day
In order to practice what I preach, I wanted to share the full story behind some recent Instagrams. This is NOT to say that my pictures or captions are fake (not the case at all), but you can’t always capture/write everything going on that moment. Know what I mean? Check out Behind The Instagram #1 here.
Behind The Instagram
1. One of the rare days that I didn’t have oatmeal for breakfast. I woke up at 6 a.m. with a burning throat so I waited until Jugofresh (smoothie bar/heaven) opened at 7 and drove to get breakfast. I needed something cool to eat and I needed it fast. This acai bowl kept my throat happy for a few hours but I actually got another smoothie later that day.
2. I absolutely love living in Florida, but I can’t help but miss this time of year up north. I specifically drove out of my way to The Fresh Market because I KNEW they would have super seasonal decorations. I was right. It was also nice to escape the Sunday crowds at my local Whole Foods.
Not from Instagram, but this was inside the market…
3. This was the night before my 18-miler a few weeks ago. Even though I did all the “correct” things (resting, hydrating) the run wasn’t the best. Everything may look great here but the next morning was rough. Ironically, sometimes the best runs happen when you are the least prepared (but I won’t be purposely testing that out anytime soon).
Oh, and that book definitely picked up. Highly recommend!
4. In order to take this photo I stood in front of the entrance of Whole Foods and (temporarily) blocked people from entering. Oops…I think it was worth it though, right?!
So there you have it…the story behind the pretty pictures. I’m starting to enjoy the challenge of taking different photos and adding an “artsy” feel to my profile. I’m not trying to be a perfect but it’s fun to get creative sometimes. Stick with me as I figure out a balance of real and filtered life. More thoughts on Instagram one of these days…
P.S. Happy October (???)….crazy!