It’s only October 3rd but I feel like the month is over.
Dramatic is my middle name, what’s yours? But really, blink and fall is gone! Not cool. That being said, I hope you had a nice fall weekend. I have a few fun things on the horizon so this week is extra busy. Actually, it’s only one fun (big) thing…I’ll share more soon!
Not so subtly switching gears…time for my bi-monthly “Behind the Instagram” post. For new readers, I started this series last year as a reminder (to myself and everyone else) that social media is typically a highlight reel. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Instagram, but a little dose of #reallife doesn’t hurt either. The theme of this round, and all the posts in the series: there’s more to the photo than meets the eye.
See previous posts in the series here.
Behind the Instagram #8
1. I have my normal breakfast routine down to a science, yet for some reason (on a Monday) decided to break out the cast iron skillet and make a hash. Three failures here: 1) the potatoes and carrots got a little (or a lotta) charred, 2) I burned my thumb after taking the photo (cast iron skillets are no joke), 3) by the time I cleaned up and was ready to eat, I had to reheat everything in the microwave. At least it looked somewhat decent?
When your potatoes get a little too happy in the cast iron ? Extra charred but still so good. Make it a great Monday ?? #breakfast #goodmoodfood
2. Confession: Posting this photo relied 100% on nailing the avocado rose. You have to have the perfect avocado (not too ripe) and I just had a good feeling with this one. So I made the rose first, decided it was half decent, and then made the rest of the salad look OK. Big time #diditfortheinsta.
I feel like I’m cheating on fall food with this lunch ? Berries are still pretty good down here so I’ll take em while I can. Also, three cheers for some much needed progress on my avocado rose ?? Hope you’re having a great Friday! #lunch #goodmoodfood
3. *Serious talk alert* The caption does not do this smoothie or that moment justice. More than a rainy Monday morning, which stinks in itself, I had also just received some defeating news from a company (aka a “no” on the job front). This one hit hard because I was far along in the process and didn’t expect to hear at 9 a.m. that day. Even though it wasn’t my first (or last) rejection, they all sting a bit.
My mom, who moonlights as a Smoothie Queen, helped to turn things around. The smoothie was literally a bright spot on a dreary day. Full credit to her for working some layered magic and always having my back. A trick for smoothie layers: make in batches and freeze.
Overflowing layered bliss. Much needed on this rainy Monday ?? . Bottom layer- blueberries, chia seed and @califiafarms almond milk // middle- strawberries, banana, almond milk // top- spinach and almond milk. #smoothie
I always struggle with what to share, both here and on Instagram. Truthfully, it’s hard to put a positive spin on everything so I often refrain from posting too much detail. It’s a balance between wanting to stay optimistic and honest while also keeping personal things to myself. Sometimes I get the itch to write long captions and explain everything, but other times I just want to keep it concise…and try to be funny. Side note: I read this article about empowering quotes and it home.
4. Staying (somewhat) serious for one more photo…Saturday and Sunday mornings are hard when you’re an injured runner. (I still consider myself injured even though I’m run/walking a few times a week). While I joke around and say things like “my eggs run more than I do” and “lazy weekends are the best” I obviously miss the sport so much. I’m doing what I can, when I can and trying to look at the bigger picture: longterm health.
Anyway, I still (naturally) wake up early on the weekends so I have a lot of time to kill. That time has gone to cooking. Instead of running I’m in the kitchen chopping and roasting vegetables at 7 a.m. If only I could master omelette flipping/cooking.
Everyone’s out running, I’m here eating…This was better though ?. . A makeshift omelette/scramble with two @vitalfarms eggs, kale and zoodles. Roasted carrots and sweet potatoes on the side ??#breakfast
5. Sweet potato toast…such a social media favorite. I suppose I exaggerated by calling it “toast” since I don’t own a toaster and just baked the potato in thin slices. Am I missing out on the actual toasted version? I like the concept but I need a lot of “slices” (and toppings) to fill me up. After this photo, I turned these slices into “sandwiches” by adding another sweet potato to the top. I think I prefer my potato roasted and stuffed with almond butter.
Also, I bought that hardboiled egg from the Whole Foods salad bar. Laziness at its finest.
Two sweet potato toast pictures in a row…I obviously have a slight addiction ? . I’ve loved reading your comments on my last post. Thank you to everyone who has entered the giveaway (ends tonight!) and shared something positive ☺️ Happy football Sunday ? #breakfast #goodmoodfood
Click To Tweet