Best Easy Anthony Bourdain Clam Chowder Recipe
Clam chowder is a classic dish that warms the soul and delights the taste buds. And when it comes to creating the perfect clam chowder, Anthony Bourdain’s recipe is a go-to for many food enthusiasts. Known for his adventurous palate and love for bold flavors, Bourdain’s clam chowder recipe is a delicious combination of fresh ingredients and hearty goodness. Here’s how you can recreate this delectable dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.
– 2 pounds of fresh clams
– 4 slices of bacon, diced
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
– 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
– 2 cups of vegetable broth
– 1 cup of heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot, steam the clams until they open. Discard any unopened clams and set aside the opened ones, reserving the liquid.
2. In the same pot, cook the diced bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
3. Add the chopped onion and celery to the pot and sauté until they are softened.
4. Stir in the diced potatoes and cook for a few minutes.
5. Pour in the vegetable broth and the reserved clam juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
6. Add the cooked clams, bacon, butter, and heavy cream to the pot. Stir well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Simmer the chowder for a few more minutes until it thickens slightly.
8. Serve the clam chowder hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
1. Can I use canned clams instead of fresh clams?
Yes, you can use canned clams if fresh clams are not available. Drain the liquid from the cans and add it to the chowder for extra flavor.
2. Can I substitute bacon with a vegetarian alternative?
Yes, you can replace bacon with vegetarian bacon or omit it entirely for a vegetarian version of the chowder.
3. Can I freeze the leftover clam chowder?
While it’s best to consume the chowder fresh, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat gently on the stovetop before serving.
4. What can I serve with clam chowder?
Clam chowder pairs well with crusty bread or oyster crackers.
5. Can I use milk instead of heavy cream?
Yes, you can substitute milk for heavy cream, but the chowder may be slightly less rich and creamy.
6. Can I add other seafood to the chowder?
Absolutely! Feel free to add shrimp, scallops, or pieces of fish to the chowder for a seafood medley.
7. Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Simply follow the instructions until step 5, then transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
8. Can I use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth?
Yes, you can use chicken broth if you prefer, but it may alter the flavor slightly.
9. Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the chowder in advance and refrigerate it. Reheat gently on the stovetop before serving.
10. Can I add spices or herbs to enhance the flavor?
Absolutely! You can experiment with adding herbs like thyme or spices like paprika to elevate the flavor profile according to your preferences.
11. Can I use red potatoes instead of regular potatoes?
Yes, you can use red potatoes in this recipe. They add a slightly different texture and flavor to the chowder, but it will still be delicious.