Barbados is renowned for its rich culinary traditions, and one dish that stands out among the rest is the delicious Barbados fish cake. This appetizing treat is loved by locals and tourists alike, and its simple yet flavorful recipe makes it a must-try for anyone visiting the island. Here is a step-by-step guide to preparing the best easy Barbados fish cake:
– 1 lb fresh salted codfish, soaked and deboned
– 1 cup flour
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
– 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon hot sauce
– 1 egg, beaten
– Vegetable oil for frying
1. Boil the salted codfish for 10 minutes to remove excess salt. Drain and rinse with cold water. Flake the fish into small pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the codfish, flour, onion, garlic, baking powder, thyme, parsley, black pepper, and hot sauce. Mix well.
3. Gradually add the beaten egg to the mixture until it forms a thick batter.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
5. Drop spoonfuls of the fish cake mixture into the hot oil, shaping them into small patties.
6. Fry the fish cakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
7. Remove the fish cakes from the pan and drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious Barbados fish cakes!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Can I use fresh fish instead of salted codfish?
While salted codfish is traditional, you can use fresh fish if desired. Just make sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
2. How long should I soak the salted codfish?
Soak the codfish in cold water for at least 24 hours, changing the water every 4-6 hours.
3. Can I freeze the fish cakes?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked fish cakes. Just place them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
4. Can I bake the fish cakes instead of frying?
Yes, you can bake the fish cakes at 375°F for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. What can I serve with Barbados fish cakes?
They are often enjoyed with a side of hot sauce or a tangy dipping sauce, along with a fresh salad or coleslaw.
6. Can I use different herbs and spices?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with your favorite herbs and spices to personalize the flavor.
7. Is it necessary to debone the salted codfish?
Yes, removing the bones ensures a smoother texture in the fish cakes.
8. Can I use gluten-free flour?
Yes, you can substitute regular flour with a gluten-free alternative.
9. How long can I store the cooked fish cakes?
Cooked fish cakes can be refrigerated for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
10. Can I use a different type of fish?
While traditionally made with salted codfish, you can use other white fish varieties such as haddock or tilapia.
11. Are Barbados fish cakes spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to personal preference. If you prefer a milder taste, reduce the amount of hot sauce.