Best Easy Beef Shank Recipe Soup: A Hearty and Delicious Comfort Food
Beef shank soup is a classic comfort food that warms both the body and soul. This hearty and flavorful dish is made with tender beef shanks, vegetables, and aromatic spices, resulting in a satisfying and nutritious meal. If you’re looking for an easy recipe to make this delicious soup, look no further! Here is the best easy beef shank recipe soup that will leave you wanting more.
– 2 lbs beef shank
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 carrots, sliced
– 2 stalks of celery, chopped
– 2 potatoes, diced
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 8 cups beef broth
– Fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the beef shanks and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the shanks from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté until fragrant and translucent.
3. Add the carrots, celery, and potatoes. Stir and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
4. Return the beef shanks to the pot. Add the bay leaf, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
5. Pour in the beef broth, making sure the shanks are fully submerged. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender and falling off the bone.
6. Remove the shanks from the pot and shred the meat using two forks. Discard any excess fat or bones.
7. Return the shredded beef to the pot and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
8. Serve the beef shank soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
1. Can I use a different cut of beef instead of shank?
Yes, you can use other cuts such as beef chuck or brisket, but the shank adds a unique flavor and gelatinous texture to the soup.
2. Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Brown the beef shanks and sauté the vegetables as instructed, then transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender.
3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to airtight containers and freezing for up to three months.
4. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Certainly! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables like peas, corn, or green beans to customize the soup to your liking.
5. Can I substitute beef broth with chicken or vegetable broth?
While beef broth adds a rich flavor, you can use chicken or vegetable broth if you prefer.
6. Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, the flavors will deepen if you make the soup a day ahead and reheat it before serving.
7. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried?
Fresh herbs can be used as a substitute for dried, but you may need to adjust the quantity as dried herbs are more concentrated.
8. Can I use an Instant Pot for this recipe?
Yes, you can pressure cook the beef shank soup in an Instant Pot. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking times.
9. What can I serve with beef shank soup?
Crusty bread or a side salad pairs well with this hearty soup.
10. Can I use boneless beef shanks?
Bone-in beef shanks are preferred as the bone adds flavor to the soup. However, boneless shanks can be used if that’s what you have available.
11. How can I make the soup thicker?
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water or mix in some cooked rice or noodles.
Enjoy this easy beef shank recipe soup as a comforting and nourishing meal for any occasion. Its rich flavors and tender beef will surely satisfy your taste buds and warm your heart.