Best Easy Bread With Just Flour and Water Recipe
Bread is a staple in many households, but making it from scratch can seem like a daunting task. However, with this simple recipe, you can create delicious bread using just flour and water. Yes, you read that right, no yeast or other fancy ingredients required!
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 ½ cups water
– 1 teaspoon salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
2. Gradually add the water while stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms.
3. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours, or overnight. This allows the dough to ferment and develop flavor.
4. Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Place a Dutch oven or a heavy oven-safe pot with a lid inside to preheat as well.
5. Once the oven and pot are preheated, carefully remove the pot from the oven and place the dough inside. Be cautious as the pot will be very hot.
6. Cover the pot with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and crusty.
8. Once baked, remove the bread from the pot and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing.
This easy bread recipe is perfect for beginners and those who want a quick and delicious homemade bread option. The crust is crispy, while the inside is soft and fluffy. It pairs well with butter, jam, or can be used to make sandwiches.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for all or part of the all-purpose flour if desired. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may be slightly different.
2. Can I add other ingredients like herbs or cheese to the dough?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment by adding your favorite herbs, cheese, or even olives to the dough before letting it ferment.
3. Can I use a different type of pot if I don’t have a Dutch oven?
Yes, you can use any oven-safe pot with a lid. Just make sure it can withstand high temperatures.
4. Can I freeze the bread?
Yes, you can freeze the bread once it has cooled completely. Slice it before freezing for easier thawing and use.
5. Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can double or even triple the recipe to make more loaves.
6. Can I use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, bread flour can be used instead of all-purpose flour. It may result in a slightly denser bread.
7. How long does the bread stay fresh?
The bread will stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
8. Can I add sugar to the recipe?
If you prefer a slightly sweeter bread, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar to the mixture.
9. Can I use this recipe to make rolls or buns?
Yes, you can shape the dough into smaller portions to make rolls or buns. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
10. Can I use a bread machine to make this bread?
This recipe is designed for a no-knead method, so it may not be suitable for a bread machine. However, you can try adapting it to fit your machine’s settings.
11. Can I use this recipe to make gluten-free bread?
No, this recipe requires wheat flour. If you need a gluten-free option, you will have to use alternative gluten-free flours and additional ingredients.