Best Easy Brenda Gantt Chicken and Dumplings Written Recipe
Chicken and dumplings is a classic comfort food dish that has been loved by generations. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that warms the soul with its rich flavors and tender chicken. If you’re looking for an easy and delicious chicken and dumplings recipe, look no further than Brenda Gantt’s version.
Brenda Gantt is a renowned Southern cook known for her delicious and straightforward recipes. Her chicken and dumplings recipe is no exception, as it combines simple ingredients and easy steps to create a mouthwatering dish. Here is the written recipe for Brenda Gantt’s best easy chicken and dumplings:
– 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 2 cups water
– 1 cup milk
1. In a large pot, bring the chicken, chicken broth, and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
2. Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool. Once cool, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, black pepper, thyme, sage, and garlic powder. Gradually add the milk to form a dough.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut the dough into small squares or strips.
5. Return the pot with the broth to a simmer and add the dumplings. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through and tender.
6. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to heat through.
7. Serve the chicken and dumplings hot and enjoy!
1. Can I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
2. Can I use store-bought chicken broth?
Absolutely! Store-bought chicken broth works just as well in this recipe.
3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to three months.
4. Can I use a different type of flour?
While all-purpose flour works best for this recipe, you can experiment with different types of flour if desired.
5. Can I add vegetables to the dish?
Certainly! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, peas, or celery, for added flavor and nutrition.
6. Can I make the dumplings ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dumplings ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.
7. Can I use a slow cooker for this recipe?
Yes, you can transfer the cooked chicken and broth to a slow cooker and add the dumplings. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the dumplings are cooked through.
8. Can I use almond milk instead of regular milk?
Yes, you can substitute almond milk if you prefer a dairy-free option.
9. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried?
Absolutely! Fresh herbs will add a vibrant flavor to the dish.
10. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour and broth to make this recipe gluten-free.
11. Can I add spices like paprika or cayenne pepper for extra heat?
Of course! Feel free to experiment with spices to adjust the heat level according to your taste preferences.
Brenda Gantt’s easy chicken and dumplings recipe is a winner when it comes to simplicity and taste. Give it a try and savor the comforting flavors of this classic Southern dish.