Best Easy Canned Plum Tomato Sauce Recipe
Tomato sauce is a versatile and essential ingredient in many dishes, and making it from scratch using canned plum tomatoes is both easy and delicious. This recipe guarantees a rich and flavorful sauce that can be used for pasta, pizza, or as a base for other tomato-based recipes. Here’s how to make the best easy canned plum tomato sauce:
– 2 cans of plum tomatoes
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon of dried basil
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
2. Add the canned plum tomatoes, including the juice, to the saucepan. Use a wooden spoon to break up the tomatoes into smaller chunks.
3. Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine all the flavors.
4. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. After 30 minutes, use an immersion blender or transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor to blend until smooth. If you prefer a chunkier sauce, skip this step.
6. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
7. Remove from heat and let it cool before storing it in airtight containers or jars.
1. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes, but canned plum tomatoes provide a richer and more consistent flavor.
2. Can I add meat or vegetables to the sauce?
Absolutely! Feel free to add cooked ground beef, sausage, or vegetables like bell peppers and mushrooms to enhance the sauce.
3. How long can I store the sauce?
The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for up to three months.
4. Can I use this sauce for pizza?
Yes, this sauce works perfectly as a pizza sauce.
5. Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
Yes, dried herbs work just as well and are more convenient.
6. Can I use this sauce for lasagna?
Yes, this sauce is perfect for lasagna as well.
7. Can I make a larger batch and can it for long-term storage?
Yes, you can easily double or triple the recipe and can the sauce following proper canning procedures.
8. How spicy is this sauce?
This recipe doesn’t contain any spicy ingredients, but you can add red pepper flakes to make it spicier if desired.
9. Can I use this sauce for chicken Parmesan?
Absolutely! This sauce is great for chicken Parmesan.
10. Can I omit the sugar?
While the sugar helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes, you can omit it if desired.
11. Can I make this sauce in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can transfer all the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours for a hands-off approach.