Best Easy Cheese Scone Recipe Mary Berry: A Delightful Treat!
Cheese scones are a classic British delicacy that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. These savory treats are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a tasty snack. If you’re on the lookout for the best easy cheese scone recipe, look no further than Mary Berry’s delightful creation. Mary Berry, one of Britain’s most beloved bakers, has perfected the art of baking, and her cheese scone recipe is no exception.
– 225g self-raising flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 50g butter, softened
– 100g grated mature cheddar cheese
– 2 tbsp milk
– 2 large eggs, beaten
– A pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Rub in the softened butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the grated cheese.
5. Gradually add the beaten eggs and milk, mixing until a soft dough forms.
6. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently knead it.
7. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 2cm.
8. Cut out scones using a round cutter, approximately 5cm in diameter.
9. Place the scones on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
10. Brush the tops with a little milk for a golden finish.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden and well-risen.
12. Allow the scones to cool on a wire rack before serving.
1. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different cheeses like Red Leicester or Gruyère for unique flavors.
2. Can I freeze the scones?
Yes, you can freeze the scones once they have cooled. Reheat them in a preheated oven for a few minutes before serving.
3. Can I substitute the self-raising flour with all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute self-raising flour with all-purpose flour and add 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder.
4. Can I make mini scones instead?
Yes, simply use a smaller cutter and reduce the baking time by a few minutes.
5. Can I add herbs or other seasonings?
Absolutely! Feel free to add chopped herbs like chives or rosemary, or even a pinch of paprika for added flavor.
6. Can I replace the butter with margarine?
Yes, you can use margarine instead of butter if desired.
7. Can I use skimmed milk instead of whole milk?
Yes, you can use any type of milk you prefer.
8. Can I make the dough in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the dough in advance and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking.
9. Can I add other ingredients like bacon or onion?
Certainly! You can add cooked bacon or sautéed onions to the scone mixture for extra deliciousness.
10. Can I serve the scones with butter or jam?
Absolutely! Traditional scones are often served with butter and jam, so go ahead and enjoy them that way.
11. Can I reheat the scones?
Yes, you can reheat the scones in the oven for a few minutes or in a toaster for a quick snack.
Mary Berry’s easy cheese scone recipe is a winner in terms of simplicity and taste. With these delectable treats, you can impress your family and friends with your baking skills. So, grab your apron and get ready to savor the scrumptiousness of these cheese scones!