Best Easy Chicken Tinola Recipe with Spinach
Chicken Tinola is a popular Filipino dish known for its flavorful broth and tender chicken. This comforting soup is traditionally made with green papaya, but if you’re looking for a twist, why not try using spinach instead? The addition of spinach not only adds a vibrant color to the dish but also provides a nutritious boost. Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for Chicken Tinola with Spinach that you can easily recreate at home.
– 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
– 2 tablespoons cooking oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced
– 3 cups water
– 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
– 2 cups spinach leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the cooking oil in a pot and sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Pour in the water and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
4. Add the spinach leaves and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until wilted.
5. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste.
6. Serve hot and enjoy!
1. Can I use chicken breast instead of a whole chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breast if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time as chicken breast cooks faster than a whole chicken.
2. Can I use other greens aside from spinach?
Yes, you can substitute spinach with other leafy greens like malunggay leaves or kangkong (water spinach).
3. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Certainly! You can add vegetables like green beans, bok choy, or cabbage for a heartier soup.
4. Can I use chicken broth instead of water?
Yes, using chicken broth will enhance the flavor of the soup. Just remember to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
5. Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Simply follow the same steps but cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
6. Can I freeze leftovers?
Absolutely! Chicken Tinola freezes well, so you can enjoy it later. Just make sure to cool the soup completely before storing it in airtight containers.
7. Can I use other types of meat?
While Chicken Tinola is traditionally made with chicken, you can also use other meats like pork or beef. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
8. Can I omit the fish sauce?
If you prefer, you can omit the fish sauce, but it does add a distinct flavor to the dish.
9. Can I add rice to the soup?
Yes, you can add cooked rice to make the soup heartier and turn it into a complete meal.
10. Can I use frozen spinach?
Yes, you can use frozen spinach if fresh spinach is not available. Just thaw and squeeze out any excess water before adding it to the soup.
11. Can I make this recipe spicy?
If you like a bit of heat, you can add chili peppers or red pepper flakes to the soup while it’s simmering. Adjust the amount according to your desired spiciness.
Chicken Tinola with Spinach is a comforting and nutritious dish that is easy to make. Whether you’re a fan of Filipino cuisine or looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy a warm bowl of Chicken Tinola with Spinach on a chilly day or anytime you crave a hearty soup.