Best Easy Chinese Chiffon Cake Recipe
When it comes to light, fluffy, and delicious desserts, Chinese chiffon cake takes the crown. This delightful treat is known for its airy texture and delicate flavor. If you’re looking to try your hand at making this delectable cake at home, we have the best easy Chinese chiffon cake recipe just for you.
– 6 egg yolks
– 50g granulated sugar
– 80ml vegetable oil
– 100ml water
– 150g cake flour
– 1 ½ tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 6 egg whites
– 80g granulated sugar
– ½ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 50g of sugar until the mixture becomes pale and creamy.
3. Slowly add the vegetable oil, water, cake flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
5. Gradually add the remaining 80g of sugar while continuing to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture until fully incorporated.
7. Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and immediately invert the pan onto a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
1. Can I use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour?
Yes, you can substitute cake flour with all-purpose flour, but the texture may be slightly denser.
2. Can I use a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer?
Yes, a hand mixer will work just fine for beating the egg whites.
3. Can I use a different type of oil?
Yes, you can use any neutral-flavored oil like canola or sunflower oil.
4. Can I freeze Chinese chiffon cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
5. How long will the chiffon cake stay fresh?
It will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
6. Can I add flavors like lemon or matcha to the cake?
Yes, you can add different flavors to the cake by substituting or adding extracts such as lemon or matcha.
7. Can I use a different pan instead of a tube pan?
Using a tube pan is recommended for even baking, but you can use a regular cake pan. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
8. Can I use salted butter instead of vegetable oil?
It is best to use vegetable oil as it helps maintain the cake’s light texture. Salted butter may affect the outcome.
9. Can I use a convection oven?
Yes, you can use a convection oven, but adjust the temperature and baking time accordingly.
10. Can I use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar?
Powdered sugar is not recommended as it may affect the texture and stability of the cake.
11. Can I add any toppings or frosting to the chiffon cake?
Chinese chiffon cake is traditionally served plain, but you can add a light dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze if desired.