Best Easy Chinese Crispy Pork Belly Recipe: Rick Stein
If you are a fan of Chinese cuisine, then you must have tried or heard about the delicious crispy pork belly, a classic dish loved by many. Today, we bring you the best easy Chinese crispy pork belly recipe by renowned chef Rick Stein, which will help you recreate this mouthwatering dish at home.
– 1 kg pork belly, skin on
– 2 tbsp five-spice powder
– 2 tbsp sea salt
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C (200°C fan).
2. Score the pork belly skin with a sharp knife, making shallow cuts about 1 cm apart.
3. Rub the five-spice powder and sea salt all over the pork belly, ensuring it is evenly coated.
4. Place the pork belly on a wire rack over a roasting tray and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or overnight. This will help dry out the skin, resulting in a crispy texture.
5. Drizzle the vegetable oil over the pork belly and rub it into the skin.
6. Roast the pork belly in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the skin starts to crackle.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (160°C fan) and continue roasting for 1 hour or until the pork belly is cooked through.
8. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into portions.
9. Serve the crispy pork belly with steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or as part of a Chinese feast.
1. Can I use boneless pork belly for this recipe?
Yes, boneless pork belly works well too.
2. How can I achieve an extra crispy skin?
Ensure the pork belly skin is thoroughly dry before seasoning and roasting.
3. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the pork belly a day in advance and roast it just before serving.
4. Can I freeze leftover crispy pork belly?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked pork belly for up to 3 months. Reheat in a hot oven to maintain crispiness.
5. Can I substitute the five-spice powder?
You can experiment with other spices, but five-spice powder adds an authentic Chinese flavor.
6. Can I use a different cut of pork?
While pork belly is traditional, you can use other cuts such as pork loin or shoulder.
7. Can I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil?
Vegetable oil has a higher smoke point, making it ideal for achieving crispy skin.
8. What can I serve with crispy pork belly?
You can serve it with steamed rice, noodles, or as a filling in Chinese buns.
9. How do I store leftovers?
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
10. Can I make this recipe in an air fryer?
Yes, you can adapt the recipe for an air fryer by adjusting the cooking time and temperature.
11. Can I add a sauce or glaze to the pork belly?
If you desire a saucier dish, you can brush the pork belly with a glaze of your choice during the last 10 minutes of cooking.