Best Easy Copycat Recipe: Cheddar’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you have ever dined at Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, you know that their Chicken Tortilla Soup is a crowd favorite. With its rich flavors and comforting ingredients, it is the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly day. But what if you could recreate this delicious soup at home? Look no further – we have the best easy copycat recipe for Cheddar’s Chicken Tortilla Soup!
– 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
– 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
– 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 cup frozen corn kernels
– 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
– Tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, sautéing until fragrant and translucent.
2. Add the chicken breasts to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
3. Pour in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, red enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
6. Stir in the frozen corn kernels and black beans. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
7. Serve the soup hot, garnished with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado.
1. Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs for a different texture and flavor.
2. Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can cook the chicken in a slow cooker and then transfer it to a pot to finish the soup.
3. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes, but the canned variety adds a richer flavor.
4. Can I freeze the soup?
Yes, you can freeze the soup in an airtight container for up to three months.
5. Can I make this soup vegetarian?
Yes, you can omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead.
6. Can I add more vegetables?
Yes, you can add diced bell peppers, zucchini, or carrots for added flavor and texture.
7. Can I make this soup spicier?
Yes, you can increase the amount of chili powder or add diced jalapenos for extra heat.
8. Can I use store-bought tortilla chips?
Yes, store-bought tortilla chips work perfectly fine as a garnish.
9. Can I use a different type of beans?
Yes, you can use pinto beans or kidney beans as a substitute for black beans.
10. Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve.
11. Can I add sour cream or cilantro as a garnish?
Yes, sour cream and cilantro are great additions for added freshness and creaminess.
There you have it! With this easy copycat recipe for Cheddar’s Chicken Tortilla Soup, you can now enjoy this restaurant favorite in the comfort of your own home.