Best Easy Curry Recipe: Garam Masala
Curry is a popular dish that is enjoyed by people all over the world. Its rich and aromatic flavors make it a favorite choice for those seeking a delicious and satisfying meal. One of the key ingredients that gives curry its distinctive taste is garam masala, a blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cuisine. Here is an easy and flavorful curry recipe that incorporates the use of garam masala.
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
– 2 teaspoons garam masala
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon cumin powder
– 1 teaspoon coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust according to your preference)
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1 can of coconut milk
– 2 cups of vegetables (such as potatoes, carrots, and peas)
– 1 cup of cooked protein (chicken, tofu, or chickpeas)
– Salt, to taste
– Fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it turns translucent.
2. Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger, and cook for another minute.
3. Add the garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and chili powder to the pan. Stir well to combine the spices with the onion mixture.
4. Pour in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
5. Add the vegetables and cooked protein of your choice. Stir well and cover the pan, allowing the curry to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Season with salt according to your taste.
7. Serve the curry over steamed rice or with naan bread, garnished with fresh cilantro.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. What is garam masala?
Garam masala is a blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cuisine. It typically includes cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin, coriander, and black pepper.
2. Can I make my own garam masala?
Yes, you can make your own garam masala by grinding together the individual spices in the desired proportions.
3. Can I substitute garam masala with other spices?
While garam masala is a key ingredient in this recipe, you can experiment with other spices to achieve a different flavor profile.
4. Can I make this curry recipe vegan?
Yes, you can make this curry recipe vegan by using tofu or chickpeas as your protein source and ensuring the canned coconut milk is free from animal-derived ingredients.
5. How spicy is this curry recipe?
The spiciness of the curry can be adjusted according to your preference by increasing or decreasing the amount of chili powder used.
6. Can I add other vegetables to the curry?
Absolutely! Feel free to add any vegetables of your choice to the curry.
7. How long does this curry recipe last?
The curry can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
8. Can I freeze this curry recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the curry in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months.
9. Can I use pre-packaged curry powder instead of garam masala?
While curry powder is a convenient option, garam masala adds a unique flavor that enhances the overall taste of the dish.
10. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes, but the canned ones provide a more consistent flavor.
11. Can I use a different type of oil instead of vegetable oil?
Yes, you can use any neutral-flavored oil such as canola or sunflower oil as a substitute.
In conclusion, this easy and flavorful curry recipe is a delicious way to incorporate garam masala into your cooking. With its aromatic spices and creamy coconut milk, this curry is sure to become a favorite dish among friends and family. Enjoy the rich flavors and the warmth that this curry brings to your table!