Best Easy Double Key Lime Pie Recipe
Key lime pie is a classic dessert that perfectly combines the tangy flavor of limes with a smooth and creamy texture. If you’re looking for a simple yet delicious recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth, this easy double key lime pie recipe is the way to go. Here’s how to make it!
– 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
– ½ cup melted butter
– 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
– 4 egg yolks
– ½ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
– 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
– Lime slices for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish to form the crust.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, key lime juice, and lime zest until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
3. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, or until set. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before refrigerating for at least 2 hours.
4. In another bowl, whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie.
5. Garnish with lime slices for an extra touch of freshness. Slice and serve!
1. Can I use regular limes instead of key limes?
Yes, you can substitute regular limes for key limes if they’re not available. However, key limes have a slightly different flavor that adds authenticity to the pie.
2. Can I use a store-bought graham cracker crust?
Yes, if you’re short on time, a store-bought crust will work just fine.
3. Can I use lime juice from a bottle?
Freshly squeezed lime juice is always preferred for its vibrant flavor, but bottled lime juice can be used as a substitute.
4. How long will the pie last in the refrigerator?
The pie will stay fresh for up to 3 days when stored in the refrigerator.
5. Can I freeze the pie?
Yes, you can freeze the pie for up to 2 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
6. Can I use a different type of crust?
Sure! You can experiment with different crusts like a chocolate cookie crust or a shortbread crust.
7. How can I make the pie sugar-free?
You can use sugar-free condensed milk and sugar substitutes in place of the sweetened condensed milk and powdered sugar.
8. Can I add meringue instead of whipped cream?
Absolutely! If you prefer meringue, you can substitute it for the whipped cream topping.
9. Can I use a different type of citrus fruit?
While key limes are traditional, you can try using lemons or even oranges for a twist on the classic recipe.
10. Can I add a splash of rum to the filling?
Yes, a splash of rum can add a delicious depth of flavor to the filling.
11. Can I make mini key lime pies instead of one large pie?
Yes, you can use mini pie dishes or muffin tins to make individual-sized key lime pies. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
In conclusion, this easy double key lime pie recipe is a fantastic dessert option for any occasion. It requires minimal effort and delivers a burst of lime flavor that will leave you craving for more. Enjoy!