Best Easy French Fruit Tart Recipe Julia Child
Are you looking for a delicious and impressive dessert that will wow your guests? Look no further than this easy French fruit tart recipe inspired by the legendary chef Julia Child. With its buttery crust, creamy filling, and vibrant assortment of fresh fruits, this tart is not only visually stunning but also incredibly delicious.
For the crust:
– 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
– 8 oz cream cheese, softened
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
– Assorted fresh fruits (strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, peaches, etc.)
– ½ cup apricot preserves, melted
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, and sugar until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolk and ice water, pulsing until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer it to a tart pan, pressing it gently into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Spread the mixture evenly over the crust.
4. Arrange the fresh fruits on top of the filling, creating an appealing pattern.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
6. Brush the melted apricot preserves over the fruit to give it a glossy finish.
7. Serve the tart at room temperature or chilled. Cut into slices and enjoy!
1. Can I use a different type of flour for the crust?
– Yes, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend if desired.
2. Can I use a different type of fruit?
– Absolutely! Use any combination of fresh fruits you prefer or what is in season.
3. Can I make the crust ahead of time?
– Yes, you can make the crust a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
4. Can I use a different type of preserve for the glaze?
– Yes, you can use any fruit preserve or jelly of your choice.
5. Can I freeze the tart?
– It is not recommended to freeze the assembled tart as the texture of the fruit may change.
6. Can I use a different type of cheese for the filling?
– You can substitute the cream cheese with mascarpone or ricotta if desired.
7. How long does the tart stay fresh?
– The tart can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
8. Can I use a different type of pan?
– Yes, you can use a rectangular or square tart pan instead of a round one.
9. Can I use a pre-made pie crust?
– Yes, you can use a pre-made pie crust if you prefer, but homemade crust adds an extra touch of flavor.
10. Can I add a layer of chocolate to the crust?
– Yes, you can spread a thin layer of melted chocolate over the crust before adding the filling for an extra indulgence.
11. Can I use frozen fruit?
– Fresh fruit is highly recommended for this recipe, but you can use frozen fruit if thawed and drained well.
Indulge in this delightful French fruit tart and impress your guests with its beautiful presentation and incredible taste. With Julia Child’s easy recipe, you’ll be able to recreate a classic dessert that will surely become a favorite in your household.