Best Easy Fresh Milled Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
There’s nothing quite like the aroma and taste of freshly baked bread, and when it comes to health-conscious options, fresh milled whole wheat bread takes the cake. This recipe is perfect for those who want to enjoy the goodness of whole grains without any added preservatives or artificial flavors. So, let’s get started!
– 4 cups fresh milled whole wheat flour
– 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
– 1 1/2 cups warm water
– 2 tbsp honey
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 1/2 tsp salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. Add honey, olive oil, and salt to the yeast mixture. Stir well.
3. Gradually add the fresh milled whole wheat flour to the mixture and stir until a dough forms.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
7. Punch down the dough and shape it into a loaf. Place it in a greased loaf pan.
8. Cover the loaf pan with a kitchen towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
9. Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
10. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Can I use store-bought whole wheat flour instead of fresh milled?
Yes, you can substitute store-bought whole wheat flour if you don’t have access to a mill.
2. Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast?
Yes, you can use instant yeast, but follow the instructions on the packaging for proper activation.
3. Can I replace honey with another sweetener?
Yes, you can use maple syrup, agave nectar, or any other liquid sweetener of your choice.
4. Can I use a bread machine to make this recipe?
Yes, simply follow the instructions provided by your bread machine manufacturer.
5. How should I store the bread?
Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
6. Can I freeze the bread?
Yes, slice the bread and freeze it in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
7. Can I add nuts or seeds to the dough?
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite nuts, seeds, or dried fruits to the dough for added texture and flavor.
8. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Unfortunately, this recipe requires gluten for proper texture and rising.
9. Can I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat flour?
Yes, whole wheat pastry flour will work well in this recipe.
10. How can I make the bread softer?
You can add a couple of tablespoons of butter or vegetable oil to the dough to make it softer.
11. Can I use a stand mixer to knead the dough?
Yes, you can use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment for kneading the dough instead of doing it by hand.
Enjoy the delightful aroma and taste of homemade fresh milled whole wheat bread. This recipe is easy to follow and guarantees a healthy and delicious loaf every time. Happy baking!