Best Easy German Savory Strudel Recipe
German cuisine is known for its hearty and flavorful dishes, and one classic that stands out is the savory strudel. With its flaky pastry and delicious filling, it’s a perfect option for a comforting and satisfying meal. If you’re looking for an easy yet authentic recipe to try, look no further. Here’s the best easy German savory strudel recipe:
– 1 package of puff pastry sheets
– 1 pound ground meat (beef, pork, or a combination)
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 cup shredded cheese (such as Gruyere or Emmental)
– 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large skillet, cook the ground meat over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
3. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
4. Sprinkle the paprika, dried thyme, salt, and pepper over the meat mixture. Stir well to combine.
5. Roll out the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Spread the meat mixture evenly onto the puff pastry, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
7. Carefully roll up the puff pastry, starting from one of the longer sides, until you have a log shape. Seal the edges by pinching them together.
8. Transfer the strudel onto the prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
9. Brush the beaten egg wash over the top of the strudel.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
11. Allow the strudel to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
1. Can I use frozen puff pastry for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen puff pastry. Just make sure to thaw it according to the package instructions before using.
2. Can I use a different type of meat?
Certainly! You can use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef or pork.
3. Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Absolutely! Simply omit the ground meat and replace it with your favorite vegetables or a plant-based meat alternative.
4. Can I freeze the strudel?
Yes, you can freeze the strudel before baking. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil before placing it in the freezer. Bake it directly from frozen, but keep in mind that the cooking time may be longer.
5. What can I serve with savory strudel?
It pairs well with a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
6. Can I make mini strudels instead?
Yes, you can divide the puff pastry into smaller portions and create individual-sized strudels.
7. Can I add other seasonings to the meat mixture?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to suit your taste.
8. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, you can use any cheese that melts well, such as cheddar or Swiss.
9. Can I make the strudel in advance?
Yes, you can assemble the strudel a few hours before baking and refrigerate it until ready to bake.
10. Can I reheat leftovers?
Yes, you can reheat the leftovers in the oven at 350°F (180°C) until warmed through.
11. Can I add other ingredients to the filling?
Certainly! You can add sautéed vegetables, herbs, or even cooked bacon to enhance the flavor of the filling. Just make sure not to overstuff the strudel, as it may become difficult to roll.