The Best Easy Ground Elk Meatloaf Recipe
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious twist on traditional meatloaf, look no further than this easy ground elk meatloaf recipe. Elk meat is lean, flavorful, and a healthier alternative to beef. This recipe combines the rich taste of elk with a blend of savory spices and ingredients resulting in a mouthwatering dish that is sure to impress your family and friends.
– 2 pounds ground elk meat
– 1 cup breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup milk
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 cup ketchup
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground elk meat, breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Mix gently until well combined.
3. Shape the mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a greased baking dish.
4. Spread the ketchup evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (70°C).
6. Remove from the oven and let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
1. Can I use ground beef instead of elk meat?
Yes, you can substitute ground beef for elk meat if you prefer.
2. Can I use different spices?
Feel free to experiment with different spices to suit your taste.
3. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead.
4. Can I freeze the meatloaf?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked meatloaf for up to 3 months.
5. What sides go well with elk meatloaf?
Mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a fresh salad are great options.
6. Can I use elk meatloaf leftovers for sandwiches?
Absolutely! The meatloaf makes delicious sandwiches the next day.
7. How do I know when the meatloaf is cooked through?
The internal temperature should reach 160°F (70°C) when measured with a meat thermometer.
8. Can I use store-bought ketchup?
Yes, you can use store-bought ketchup or make your own.
9. Can I add cheese to the meatloaf?
Certainly! Adding shredded cheese to the mixture will enhance the flavor.
10. Can I make mini meatloaves instead?
Yes, you can divide the mixture into smaller portions and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
11. Can I use elk meatloaf for meal prep?
Absolutely! Cooked elk meatloaf makes a great option for meal prepping and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.