Best Easy Gujarati Rava Sheera Recipe
Gujarati Rava Sheera, also known as Sooji Halwa, is a delicious and popular Indian dessert that is made from semolina, ghee, sugar, and flavored with cardamom and nuts. This mouthwatering sweet dish is commonly served as prasad (offering) in Indian temples and is loved by people of all ages. Here is a simple and easy recipe to make this delectable dessert at home.
– 1 cup semolina (rava/sooji)
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
– 3 cups water
– 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
– A handful of chopped nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios, etc.)
1. Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina. Roast it on medium heat until it turns golden brown and releases a nutty aroma.
2. In a separate saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly add the boiled water to the roasted semolina, stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
3. Add sugar and mix well until it dissolves completely.
4. Reduce the heat and cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens.
5. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
6. In a small frying pan, heat some ghee and roast the chopped nuts until golden brown. Add the roasted nuts to the sheera and mix.
7. Remove from heat and let it rest for a few minutes.
8. Serve the warm and delicious Gujarati Rava Sheera garnished with more roasted nuts.
FAQs about Gujarati Rava Sheera:
1. Can I use other sweeteners instead of sugar?
Yes, you can use jaggery or honey as a healthier alternative to sugar.
2. Can I use milk instead of water?
Yes, you can replace water with milk for a richer and creamier texture.
3. Can I add saffron for flavor?
Yes, saffron can be added to enhance the flavor and give a beautiful yellow color to the sheera.
4. Can I make it in advance?
Yes, you can make it in advance and reheat it before serving. Add a little water or milk while reheating to adjust the consistency.
5. Can I add fruits to the sheera?
Yes, you can add chopped fruits like bananas or pineapple to the sheera to make it more flavorful.
6. Can I use flavored semolina?
Yes, you can use flavored semolina like roasted wheat or almond semolina for a different taste.
7. Can I make it vegan?
Yes, you can replace ghee with vegetable oil or vegan butter to make it vegan-friendly.
8. Can I use ghee instead of oil for roasting nuts?
Yes, using ghee adds a rich flavor to the nuts, but you can use oil if desired.
9. Can I serve it cold?
Yes, you can refrigerate the sheera and serve it cold as a refreshing dessert.
10. How long does it stay fresh?
It can stay fresh for up to 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
11. Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can double or triple the recipe to serve more people. Adjust the quantities accordingly.
Enjoy this delectable Gujarati Rava Sheera and indulge in its heavenly taste. It is perfect for festivals, special occasions, or even as a sweet treat after a meal.