Best Easy Henry Hill Sunday Gravy Recipe
If you’re a fan of Italian cuisine, you’ve probably heard of Sunday gravy. This classic dish is a slow-cooked tomato-based sauce that is traditionally served over pasta. One of the most famous recipes for Sunday gravy comes from the legendary mobster turned chef, Henry Hill. Here’s an easy version of his recipe that you can try at home.
– 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
– 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
– 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
– 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into pieces
– 1 pound pork ribs
– 1 pound meatballs
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until they become translucent.
2. Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir well to combine.
4. Add the basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes (if using), salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
5. Add the Italian sausage, pork ribs, and meatballs to the pot. Make sure they are submerged in the sauce.
6. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it cook for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. After 3 hours, remove the lid and continue to simmer for another hour to thicken the sauce.
8. Serve the Sunday gravy over cooked pasta of your choice.
1. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes if you prefer. Just make sure to peel and deseed them before adding to the sauce.
2. Can I use different types of meat?
Absolutely! Feel free to add other meats like beef or chicken to the sauce for added flavor.
3. Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can transfer the sauce and meat to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, this sauce freezes well. Just make sure to cool it completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
5. Can I add vegetables to the sauce?
Certainly! You can add diced carrots, bell peppers, or mushrooms for extra flavor and nutrition.
6. Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes, simply omit the meat and add more vegetables or substitute with plant-based protein alternatives.
7. Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use dried herbs if fresh ones are not available. Just remember to use about half the amount as dried herbs are more potent.
8. Can I use a different type of pasta?
Absolutely! This sauce pairs well with various pasta shapes like spaghetti, penne, or rigatoni.
9. Can I make this sauce spicy?
Yes, you can increase the amount of red pepper flakes or add chopped fresh chili peppers to make it spicier.
10. Can I substitute olive oil with another oil?
Yes, you can use vegetable or canola oil as a substitute for olive oil.
11. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, this sauce tastes even better the next day, so you can make it in advance and refrigerate it overnight before reheating and serving.
Now that you have the recipe and answers to some common questions, it’s time to gather the ingredients and start cooking your own delicious Henry Hill Sunday gravy. Enjoy!