Best Easy Jamaican Ginger Bulla Cake Recipe
Jamaica is known for its vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and unique flavors. One of the most loved Jamaican treats is the Ginger Bulla Cake. This delectable cake is bursting with the warm and spicy flavors of ginger, making it a perfect dessert for any occasion. Here is the best and easiest recipe for making this mouthwatering Jamaican delight.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup molasses
– 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and crumbly.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add the molasses and milk. Mix well.
5. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
1. Can I use fresh ginger instead of ground ginger?
Yes, you can grate fresh ginger and use it in place of ground ginger for a more intense flavor.
2. Can I substitute white sugar for brown sugar?
While brown sugar adds a rich flavor, you can use white sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
3. Can I make this cake without eggs?
Yes, you can use an egg substitute or applesauce as a replacement for eggs.
4. Can I freeze the Ginger Bulla Cake?
Yes, this cake freezes well. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
5. Can I add nuts or raisins to the batter?
Certainly! Feel free to add your favorite nuts or raisins for added texture and flavor.
6. Can I make mini Ginger Bulla cakes instead of a loaf?
Yes, you can use a muffin tin to make individual-sized cakes. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
7. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, but the texture and taste may be slightly different.
8. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
While margarine can be used, butter provides a richer flavor.
9. Can I use a different type of molasses?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of molasses, such as dark or blackstrap, to achieve different flavor profiles.
10. Can I make this cake gluten-free?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour.
11. Can I serve the Ginger Bulla Cake with a sauce or glaze?
Absolutely! A drizzle of caramel sauce or a cream cheese glaze would complement the flavors of the cake nicely.