Best Easy Kale Pesto With White Cheddar Recipe
Kale pesto is a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional basil pesto. With its earthy flavors and vibrant green color, it adds a unique twist to any dish. This recipe takes it up a notch by incorporating creamy white cheddar, creating a rich and flavorful combination that will leave you craving for more.
– 2 cups kale leaves, stems removed
– 1 cup fresh basil leaves
– 1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
– 1/4 cup pine nuts
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a food processor, combine the kale, basil, white cheddar, pine nuts, and garlic. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
2. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running until the mixture becomes smooth and well combined.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Transfer the kale pesto to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
This versatile pesto can be used in a variety of ways. Toss it with pasta for a quick and easy meal, spread it on sandwiches for an extra kick, or use it as a dip for veggies or crackers. The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I use other types of cheese instead of white cheddar?
Yes, you can experiment with different cheeses like Parmesan or Gouda to suit your taste.
2. Can I substitute pine nuts with other nuts?
Absolutely! Walnuts, almonds, or even cashews work well as alternatives.
3. How long can I store the kale pesto?
It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4. Can I freeze the pesto?
Yes, you can freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months.
5. Can I use frozen kale instead of fresh?
While fresh kale is recommended for the best flavor, you can use frozen kale in a pinch.
6. Is kale pesto vegan-friendly?
This recipe contains cheese, so it is not vegan. However, you can omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese substitute.
7. Can I add other herbs to the pesto?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with other herbs like parsley or cilantro to enhance the flavor.
8. Is kale pesto spicy?
No, this recipe does not include any spicy ingredients. However, you can add red pepper flakes for a kick if desired.
9. Can I use a blender instead of a food processor?
A blender can be used as an alternative, but it may require a bit more effort to achieve a smooth consistency.
10. Can I use pre-shredded cheese?
While pre-shredded cheese may work, freshly grated cheese will provide a better texture and flavor.
11. Can I use other greens instead of kale?
Yes, you can substitute kale with spinach, arugula, or any other leafy greens of your choice.