Best Easy Low Sodium Chicken Alfredo Recipe
Chicken Alfredo is a classic Italian dish loved by many, but it often comes with a high sodium content. However, with a few simple tweaks, you can enjoy a delicious and healthier version of this creamy pasta dish. Here is a low sodium chicken Alfredo recipe that is easy to make and bursting with flavor.
– 8 ounces whole wheat fettuccine
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
– 1 cup low fat milk
– 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook the fettuccine according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced chicken breasts and cook until they are browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
5. Stir in the milk, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
6. Add the cooked chicken and drained fettuccine to the skillet. Toss everything together until well coated with the sauce.
7. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot.
1. Can I use regular fettuccine instead of whole wheat?
Yes, you can use regular fettuccine if you prefer. Whole wheat adds extra fiber and nutrients.
2. Can I use other types of pasta?
Absolutely! Feel free to use any pasta shape you like, such as penne or linguine.
3. Can I substitute chicken with shrimp?
Yes, you can substitute chicken with shrimp or any other protein of your choice.
4. Can I use skim milk instead of low fat milk?
Yes, you can use skim milk if you prefer. Low fat milk adds a creamier texture.
5. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Unfortunately, Alfredo sauce doesn’t freeze well. It is best enjoyed fresh.
6. Can I add vegetables to the dish?
Certainly! You can add cooked broccoli, peas, or spinach to make it a more nutritious meal.
7. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Traditionally, Parmesan cheese is used in Alfredo sauce. However, you can experiment with other cheese varieties like Romano or Asiago.
8. How can I make the dish spicy?
You can add red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper to give it a spicy kick.
9. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can use plant-based milk and substitute chicken with tofu or seitan for a vegan version.
10. Can I use pre-cooked chicken?
Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken to save time. Just add it to the sauce towards the end to warm it up.
11. How long does this recipe take to make?
From start to finish, this recipe takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare.