Best Easy Marbled Shortbread Cookies Recipe
If you’re craving a delicious and visually appealing treat, look no further than marbled shortbread cookies. These buttery delights not only taste amazing, but their marbled appearance makes them a feast for the eyes as well. With this simple recipe, you can whip up a batch of these delectable cookies in no time.
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Food coloring of your choice (gel or liquid)
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Gradually add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
4. Divide the dough into two equal portions.
5. Add a few drops of food coloring to one portion of dough and knead until the color is evenly distributed. Repeat with the other portion using a different color.
6. Take a small piece of each colored dough and gently press them together. Repeat with the remaining dough, alternating colors to create a marbled effect.
7. Shape the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. Slice the chilled dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
11. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted?
– It’s best to use unsalted butter to have better control over the salt content in the recipe.
2. Can I use natural food coloring?
– Yes, but be aware that natural food coloring may produce more subtle colors.
3. Can I freeze the dough?
– Yes, you can freeze the dough for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before slicing and baking.
4. How long do these cookies stay fresh?
– Stored in an airtight container, they can stay fresh for up to a week.
5. Can I use gluten-free flour?
– Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
6. Can I add nuts or chocolate chips?
– Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins to the dough.
7. Can I double the recipe?
– Yes, simply double the ingredients to make a larger batch.
8. Can I use a cookie cutter instead of slicing the dough?
– Yes, you can roll out the dough and use cookie cutters for different shapes.
9. Can I omit the powdered sugar?
– Powdered sugar adds a melt-in-your-mouth texture, but you can substitute it with granulated sugar if desired.
10. Can I use almond or other extracts?
– Yes, you can experiment with different flavors by substituting vanilla extract with your preferred extract.
11. Can I use this dough as a base for other cookies?
– Absolutely! This versatile dough can be used as a base for various cookie recipes, both marbled and not.
Enjoy these delicious marbled shortbread cookies as a delightful treat or as a beautiful addition to your dessert table. With their buttery texture and stunning appearance, they are sure to impress both young and old alike.