Best Easy Mini Apple Turnovers Recipe
Apple turnovers are a delightful treat that brings together the warmth of apples and the flakiness of pastry. These mini apple turnovers are a perfect bite-sized version of the classic dessert, making them great for parties, brunches, or even as a quick snack. Here is a simple recipe to create the best mini apple turnovers.
– 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 package of refrigerated puff pastry sheets
– 1 egg, beaten
– Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
3. Roll out the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares.
4. Place a spoonful of the apple mixture in the center of each square. Fold the pastry diagonally to create a triangle shape and seal the edges by pressing them together with a fork.
5. Transfer the mini turnovers to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg, which will give them a golden color when baked.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the turnovers are puffed and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
FAQs about Mini Apple Turnovers:
1. Can I use other types of apples?
Yes, you can use any apples you prefer, but tart apples like Granny Smith work best.
2. Can I freeze the turnovers?
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked turnovers. Just place them on a baking sheet in the freezer until firm, then transfer to a freezer bag. Bake them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
3. Can I use homemade puff pastry?
Absolutely! Homemade puff pastry will elevate the turnovers even more.
4. Can I add other ingredients like raisins or nuts?
Yes, you can add raisins, chopped nuts, or even a drizzle of caramel sauce to the apple mixture for added flavor and texture.
5. Can I make these turnovers ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the turnovers a day in advance and store them in an airtight container. Just reheat them in a preheated oven for a few minutes before serving.
6. Can I use phyllo dough instead of puff pastry?
Yes, you can substitute phyllo dough, but keep in mind that the texture will be different.
7. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
While margarine can be used, butter adds a richer flavor to the turnovers.
8. How long will the turnovers stay fresh?
The turnovers are best enjoyed on the same day, but they can be kept for up to 2 days at room temperature.
9. Can I add a glaze to the turnovers?
Yes, you can drizzle a simple powdered sugar glaze over the cooled turnovers for added sweetness.
10. Can I serve the turnovers with ice cream?
Absolutely! Mini apple turnovers paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream make for a delicious dessert.
11. Can I make larger turnovers instead?
Yes, you can adjust the size according to your preference. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Enjoy these delectable mini apple turnovers as a delightful treat for any occasion. Their sweet and tart apple filling encased in flaky pastry will surely leave everyone craving for more!