Best Easy Palak Aloo Recipe Pakistani
Palak Aloo is a popular Pakistani dish that combines the goodness of spinach (palak) with the earthy flavors of potatoes (aloo). This vegetarian dish is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients, making it a perfect choice for a healthy meal. Here is a simple and easy recipe to make Palak Aloo at home:
– 2 cups spinach leaves, washed and chopped
– 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 tomatoes, pureed
– 2 green chilies, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1-inch ginger, grated
– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon red chili powder
– 1 teaspoon garam masala
– Salt to taste
– Oil for cooking
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
2. Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
3. Add minced garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for a minute.
4. Add pureed tomatoes and cook until the oil separates.
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
6. Add diced potatoes and cook covered until they are almost done.
7. Add chopped spinach and green chilies. Mix well.
8. Cover and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the spinach wilts and potatoes are fully cooked.
9. Sprinkle garam masala and give it a final stir.
10. Serve hot with roti or steamed rice.
1. Can I use frozen spinach instead of fresh?
Yes, frozen spinach can be used as a substitute. Make sure to thaw it before using.
2. Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
Yes, you can add peas, carrots, or cauliflower for added flavor and nutrition.
3. Is this dish spicy?
You can adjust the spice level according to your taste preferences. Add more or less chili powder accordingly.
4. Can I use baby potatoes instead of regular ones?
Yes, baby potatoes can be used. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
5. Can I make this dish vegan?
Yes, you can use oil instead of ghee to make it vegan.
6. Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones?
Yes, canned tomatoes can be used as a substitute.
7. Can I omit the ginger and garlic?
While ginger and garlic add a lot of flavor to the dish, you can omit them if you don’t have them on hand.
8. Can I use spinach stems in this recipe?
Yes, you can use the stems along with the leaves. Just make sure to chop them finely.
9. Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it before serving.
10. Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to a month.
11. Can I use spinach paste instead of chopped spinach?
Yes, you can use spinach paste if you prefer a smoother texture. Adjust the quantity accordingly.