Best Easy Paul Hollywood English Muffin Recipe
If you’re a fan of Great British Bake Off, then you’re probably familiar with the renowned baker Paul Hollywood. Known for his expertise in bread-making, Paul has shared his recipe for English muffins that are both delicious and easy to make. These homemade English muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch, and they will surely impress your family and friends.
– 500g strong white bread flour
– 10g salt
– 10g instant yeast
– 40g unsalted butter, softened
– 320ml whole milk, warmed
– Semolina, for dusting
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, and yeast together.
2. Add the softened butter and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Gradually pour in the warm milk, stirring until a soft dough forms.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover it with a clean tea towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
6. Punch down the dough and roll it out to a thickness of about 2cm.
7. Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out the muffins and place them on a baking tray dusted with semolina.
8. Cover the tray with a clean tea towel and let the muffins rise for another 30 minutes.
9. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over low heat and cook the muffins for about 7-8 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and cooked through.
10. Transfer the cooked muffins onto a wire rack to cool.
1. Can I use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour?
Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour for the bread flour, but the texture may differ slightly.
2. Can I use instant dry yeast instead of instant yeast?
Yes, instant dry yeast can be used as a substitute for instant yeast.
3. Can I freeze the muffins?
Yes, you can freeze the muffins once they are completely cooled. Just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or store them in a freezer bag.
4. Can I add other ingredients like cheese or herbs to the dough?
Yes, you can add grated cheese, herbs, or even diced ham to the dough for extra flavor.
5. Can I use a muffin tin instead of cutting out rounds?
Yes, you can use a muffin tin to shape the dough into muffins. Just make sure to grease the tin and dust it with semolina before placing the dough.
6. Can I use milk alternatives like almond milk or soy milk?
Yes, you can use milk alternatives, but it may affect the flavor and texture of the muffins.
7. Can I make mini English muffins?
Yes, you can use a smaller round cutter to make mini English muffins. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
8. Can I add raisins or dried fruit to the dough?
Yes, you can add raisins or dried fruit to the dough, but make sure to soak them in warm water or orange juice before adding to prevent them from being too dry.
9. Can I toast the muffins instead of frying them?
Yes, you can toast the muffins in a toaster or under a grill instead of frying them.
10. Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
Yes, you can use salted butter, but adjust the amount of salt in the recipe accordingly.
11. Can I use a stand mixer instead of kneading the dough by hand?
Yes, you can use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to knead the dough instead of doing it by hand. Just follow the manufacturer’s instructions for kneading times.