Best Easy Puka Dog Relish Recipe
If you’ve ever visited Hawaii, chances are you’ve encountered the mouthwatering delight known as Puka Dog. This unique and delicious hot dog variant features a delightful combination of flavors, with the star being the relish. If you’re craving the taste of Puka Dog but can’t make it to the islands, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with the best easy Puka Dog relish recipe that you can make at home.
– 1 cup pineapple, diced
– 1 cup mango, diced
– 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons lime juice
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pineapple, mango, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, honey, and jalapeno.
2. Stir the ingredients together until well-mixed.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
5. Serve chilled relish on your preferred hot dog or sausage.
This easy Puka Dog relish recipe will transport your taste buds to the tropical paradise of Hawaii. The combination of sweet pineapple and mango, tangy red onion, aromatic cilantro, and a hint of heat from the jalapeno creates a symphony of flavors that perfectly complements any hot dog or sausage.
FAQs about Puka Dog Relish:
1. What is Puka Dog?
Puka Dog is a popular Hawaiian hot dog stand known for its unique bread, special sauces, and delicious relish.
2. Can I use canned pineapple and mango?
Fresh fruit is recommended for the best flavor, but you can use canned fruit if fresh is not available.
3. How long does the relish last?
The relish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
4. Can I adjust the level of spiciness?
Yes, you can add more or less jalapeno depending on your preference for heat.
5. What other toppings can I add?
Traditional Puka Dog toppings include mustard, ketchup, and garlic lemon sauce.
6. Can I use this relish for other dishes?
Absolutely! This relish is versatile and can be used as a topping for grilled chicken, fish tacos, or as a salsa with tortilla chips.
7. Can I substitute the cilantro with another herb?
If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can use parsley or basil instead.
8. Is this relish suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, this relish is vegetarian-friendly.
9. Can I make a larger batch and freeze it?
While the flavors may change slightly upon freezing, you can freeze the relish in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
10. Can I use this relish for burgers?
Absolutely! This relish adds a burst of tropical flavor to any burger.
11. Can I make the relish ahead of time?
Yes, the relish can be prepared a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until needed.