Best Easy Recipe for White Country Gravy
White country gravy is a classic and comforting sauce that pairs perfectly with biscuits, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and more. With its creamy texture and savory flavor, it’s no wonder that this simple recipe is a favorite among many. If you’re looking to whip up a batch of delicious white country gravy, look no further. Here’s an easy recipe that will have you reaching for seconds.
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 cups milk
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Once the butter has melted, gradually whisk in the flour until it forms a smooth paste.
3. Continue whisking the flour and butter mixture over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes until it turns a light golden color.
4. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
5. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low.
6. Simmer the gravy for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens to your desired consistency.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove the gravy from heat and let it cool slightly before serving.
9. Pour the white country gravy over biscuits, fried chicken, or mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
FAQs about White Country Gravy:
1. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
Yes, you can substitute margarine for butter in this recipe, although the flavor may be slightly different.
2. Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can use alternative flours such as gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour, but the texture and taste may vary.
3. Can I use non-dairy milk?
Yes, you can use non-dairy milk such as almond milk or soy milk, although the flavor may differ slightly.
4. How can I make the gravy thicker?
If you prefer a thicker gravy, you can add more flour to the butter or reduce the amount of milk used.
5. Can I freeze leftover gravy?
Yes, you can freeze leftover gravy in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat it on the stovetop when ready to use.
6. Can I add other seasonings or herbs?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with additional spices or herbs like garlic powder, thyme, or paprika to enhance the flavor.
7. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the gravy ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. Reheat it on the stovetop before serving.
8. Can I use this gravy for biscuits and gravy?
Yes, this white country gravy is perfect for biscuits and gravy. Simply pour it over freshly baked biscuits and enjoy.
9. Can I use this gravy for roasted meats?
While this recipe is best suited for biscuits and other similar dishes, you can also use it as a sauce for roasted meats like chicken or pork.
10. How long does the gravy stay good in the refrigerator?
The gravy can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
11. Can I double the recipe?
Absolutely! If you need more gravy, you can easily double or triple the recipe to suit your needs.
With this simple and delicious white country gravy recipe, you can elevate any meal and add a touch of comfort to your plate. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. Enjoy the creamy goodness of homemade white country gravy!