Best Easy Ruth Reichl Gingerbread Cake Recipe
Gingerbread cake is a classic dessert that evokes feelings of warmth and comfort, especially during the holiday season. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy gingerbread cake recipe, look no further than Ruth Reichl’s version. Ruth Reichl is a renowned food writer and chef, known for her expertise in creating simple yet flavorful dishes. Her gingerbread cake recipe is no exception, combining the perfect balance of spices and molasses for a moist and richly flavored cake.
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– ½ teaspoon ground cloves
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1 cup molasses
– 1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses, mixing well.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the boiling water. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Serve slices of the gingerbread cake plain, dusted with powdered sugar, or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
1. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for a healthier option. However, the texture and taste may differ slightly.
2. How long can I store the gingerbread cake?
The cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
3. Can I freeze the gingerbread cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake for up to 2 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.
4. Can I use blackstrap molasses?
Blackstrap molasses has a stronger flavor, so it may overpower the other spices. It’s best to use regular molasses for this recipe.
5. Can I add nuts or raisins to the cake batter?
Absolutely! Chopped nuts or raisins can be added for extra texture and flavor. Just fold them into the batter before pouring it into the pan.
6. Can I use a different size baking pan?
Yes, you can use a different size pan, but the baking time may vary. Adjust the time accordingly and check for doneness with a toothpick.
7. Can I substitute butter with oil?
Yes, you can use an equal amount of vegetable oil instead of butter for a slightly different texture.
8. Can I reduce the amount of sugar?
Yes, you can reduce the sugar by ¼ cup if you prefer a less sweet cake.
9. Can I use fresh ginger instead of ground ginger?
Fresh ginger can be used, but the flavor will be stronger. Grate 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger and add it to the batter.
10. Can I make cupcakes instead of a cake?
Yes, you can use this recipe to make gingerbread cupcakes. Adjust the baking time to approximately 20-25 minutes.
11. Can I add a cream cheese frosting to the gingerbread cake?
Absolutely! A cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with the flavors of the gingerbread cake.