Best Easy School Lunch Cheese Sticks Recipe
Finding the perfect school lunch recipe that is both delicious and easy to prepare can be a daunting task for parents. However, one recipe that never fails to impress both kids and adults alike is the classic cheese sticks. These crunchy and cheesy treats are not only quick to make but are also packed with protein and calcium, making them an ideal addition to any lunchbox. Here is a simple yet mouthwatering recipe for the best easy school lunch cheese sticks:
– 8 mozzarella cheese sticks
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 1 cup breadcrumbs
– 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Cooking oil for frying
1. Start by setting up a breading station. Place the flour in a shallow dish, the beaten eggs in another dish, and the breadcrumbs mixed with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a third dish.
2. Take each mozzarella cheese stick and dip it into the flour, making sure it is completely coated. Shake off any excess flour.
3. Dip the coated cheese stick into the beaten eggs, ensuring it is well coated.
4. Roll the cheese stick in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to make sure the breadcrumbs adhere well.
5. Place the breaded cheese stick on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining cheese sticks.
6. Heat about 2 inches of cooking oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
7. Once the oil is hot, carefully add a few cheese sticks at a time and fry them until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
8. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried cheese sticks to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
9. Allow the cheese sticks to cool slightly before packing them in lunchboxes or enjoying them right away.
1. Can I use any type of cheese for this recipe?
It is recommended to use mozzarella cheese sticks for the best results. However, you can experiment with other types of cheese as well.
2. Can I bake the cheese sticks instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the cheese sticks in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Can I make the cheese sticks ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the cheese sticks in advance and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Just reheat them in the oven or microwave before serving.
4. Can I freeze the cheese sticks?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked cheese sticks. Simply bread the cheese sticks and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze them for a few hours, then transfer them to a freezer bag for long-term storage. When ready to cook, fry or bake them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes of cooking time.
5. Can I use gluten-free breadcrumbs for this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute regular breadcrumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs if desired.
6. Are cheese sticks suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, this recipe is vegetarian-friendly.
7. Can I add spices or herbs to the breadcrumb mixture?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with various seasonings to add extra flavor to the cheese sticks.
8. Can I use an air fryer to cook the cheese sticks?
Yes, you can air fry the cheese sticks at 400°F for about 8-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
9. Can I pack the cheese sticks in a lunchbox without reheating them?
Yes, cheese sticks can be enjoyed at room temperature, making them perfect for lunchboxes.
10. Can I serve the cheese sticks with a dipping sauce?
Of course! Marinara sauce, ranch dressing, or even ketchup make excellent accompaniments to cheese sticks.
11. Can I cut the cheese sticks into smaller portions?
Yes, you can cut the cheese sticks into bite-sized pieces before breading and frying them.
With this simple recipe for cheese sticks, you can easily whip up a tasty and nutritious school lunch. Whether your children are picky eaters or adventurous foodies, these cheese sticks are sure to be a hit.