Best Easy Scottish Oatcakes Recipe No Flour
Scottish oatcakes are a traditional staple in Scotland, made from oats and typically served with cheese, butter, or a variety of toppings. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy recipe for oatcakes without using flour, look no further. Here’s a simple and foolproof recipe that will yield perfectly crispy and flavorful oatcakes.
– 2 cups of rolled oats
– 1 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, melted
– 1/4 cup of boiling water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, grind the rolled oats until they resemble a coarse flour-like consistency.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground oats, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Gradually add the boiling water to the mixture, stirring until a dough forms. The dough should be moist but not sticky.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
7. Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut out round oatcakes and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the oatcakes are golden brown and crisp.
9. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack before serving.
1. Can I use instant oats instead of rolled oats?
Yes, instant oats can be used as a substitute, but the texture may differ slightly.
2. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, simply ensure that the oats you use are certified gluten-free.
3. Can I store these oatcakes?
Yes, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
4. Can I freeze the oatcakes?
Yes, they can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
5. Can I add other ingredients to the dough, such as seeds or spices?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with adding your favorite ingredients for extra flavor and texture.
6. Can I make these oatcakes vegan?
Yes, substitute the butter with a vegan alternative, such as coconut oil.
7. Can I replace the boiling water with milk?
Yes, using milk will add a richer flavor to the oatcakes.
8. Can I make oatcakes without a food processor?
Yes, you can use a blender or even a mortar and pestle to grind the oats.
9. Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
Yes, but you may want to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe to balance the flavors.
10. Can I make oatcakes without baking powder?
Yes, you can omit the baking powder, but the oatcakes may be slightly denser.
11. Can I serve oatcakes with sweet toppings?
Absolutely! Oatcakes can be enjoyed with sweet or savory toppings, so feel free to get creative with your choices.