Best Easy She Crab Soup Recipe Emeril
If you’re a seafood lover, you’ve probably heard of she crab soup. This creamy and flavorful soup is a staple in many coastal regions, especially in the South. And when it comes to the best easy she crab soup recipe, Emeril Lagasse’s version is a definite winner.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 quart whole milk
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 pound lump crabmeat
– 1/2 cup sherry
– 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Chopped chives, for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously until the mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking constantly to avoid any lumps. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the heavy cream and bring the mixture to a simmer.
4. Add the crabmeat, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. If the soup is too thick, you can add more milk or cream to achieve your desired consistency.
7. Serve the she crab soup hot, garnished with chopped chives.
FAQs about She Crab Soup:
1. Can I use canned crabmeat instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use canned crabmeat if fresh is not available. However, fresh crabmeat will yield a better flavor.
2. Can I freeze she crab soup?
It’s not recommended to freeze she crab soup as the texture may change upon thawing.
3. Can I substitute sherry with another alcohol?
If you don’t have sherry on hand, you can use white wine as a substitute.
4. Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Yes, you can use non-dairy milk and cream alternatives to make the recipe dairy-free.
5. Can I omit the hot sauce?
If you prefer a milder flavor, you can omit the hot sauce. However, it adds a nice kick to the soup.
6. Can I add other seafood to the soup?
While she crab soup traditionally focuses on crabmeat, you can add other seafood like shrimp or scallops if you desire.
7. Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, you can make the soup in advance and reheat it before serving. Just make sure to store it properly in the refrigerator.
8. Can I use a blender to puree the soup?
Yes, you can use a blender or an immersion blender to puree the soup if you prefer a smoother consistency.
9. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
It’s best to use unsalted butter for the best flavor. Margarine may alter the taste of the soup.
10. Can I substitute paprika with another spice?
If you don’t have paprika, you can use a pinch of cayenne pepper for a similar flavor profile.
11. Can I add vegetables to the soup?
While she crab soup typically doesn’t include vegetables, you can add finely chopped celery or onion for added flavor if desired.
Emeril Lagasse’s she crab soup recipe is a delight for seafood enthusiasts. Its creamy texture, rich flavors, and delicate crabmeat make it a perfect choice for special occasions or a comforting meal on a chilly day.