Best Easy Short Rib Gnocchi Recipe
Short ribs are a delicious cut of meat that can be transformed into a mouthwatering dish when paired with gnocchi. This easy recipe is perfect for a cozy dinner at home or for impressing your guests at a dinner party. The rich flavors of the tender short ribs combined with the pillowy gnocchi will leave everyone wanting more.
– 2 pounds of beef short ribs
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 cup of red wine
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 1 pound of store-bought gnocchi
– Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the short ribs on all sides. Remove them from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot, sauté the onion and garlic until they become translucent and fragrant.
3. Pour in the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits. Let the wine simmer for a few minutes until it reduces slightly.
4. Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and dried thyme to the pot. Stir well to combine.
5. Return the short ribs to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
6. While the short ribs are simmering, cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
7. Once the short ribs are done, remove them from the pot and shred the meat using two forks.
8. Return the shredded meat to the pot and stir to combine with the sauce.
9. Add the cooked gnocchi to the pot and gently toss until the gnocchi is coated in the sauce.
10. Serve the short rib gnocchi hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I use boneless short ribs for this recipe?
– Yes, boneless short ribs can be used instead. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
2. Can I make this dish ahead of time?
– Yes, this dish can be made ahead and reheated when needed.
3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
– Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
4. Can I use homemade gnocchi?
– Absolutely! Homemade gnocchi will elevate this dish even further.
5. Can I substitute the red wine with something else?
– You can use beef broth or grape juice as a non-alcoholic substitute.
6. Can I use a slow cooker for this recipe?
– Yes, you can transfer the browned short ribs and sauce to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
7. Can I use a different type of pasta instead of gnocchi?
– Yes, you can use any pasta of your choice.
8. Can I add vegetables to this dish?
– Absolutely! You can add carrots, mushrooms, or peas to the sauce.
9. Can I use a different type of meat?
– Yes, you can use beef chuck or pork ribs instead.
10. Can I make this recipe spicy?
– Yes, you can add red pepper flakes or chili powder to the sauce for some heat.
11. Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
– Yes, you can use dried thyme instead of fresh, but reduce the amount by half.