Best Easy Shrimp and Cream Cheese Wonton Recipe
If you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine, then you probably love wontons. These delicious dumplings are filled with a variety of ingredients and can be steamed, boiled, or fried. One of the most popular wonton fillings is shrimp and cream cheese, which creates a perfect balance of flavors. Here’s an easy recipe for making these delectable shrimp and cream cheese wontons at home.
– 1 cup cooked shrimp, finely chopped
– 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
– 2 green onions, finely chopped
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
– 24 wonton wrappers
– Water, for sealing
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped shrimp, cream cheese, green onions, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
2. Lay out a wonton wrapper on a clean surface and place a teaspoon of the shrimp and cream cheese filling in the center.
3. Dip your finger in water and moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper.
4. Fold the wonton wrapper in half diagonally, forming a triangle. Press the edges together to seal the wonton.
5. Repeat the process with the remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
6. Heat oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Carefully place the wontons in the hot oil and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
8. Remove the wontons from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
9. Serve the shrimp and cream cheese wontons hot with your favorite dipping sauce, such as sweet chili sauce or soy sauce.
1. Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen cooked shrimp. Just make sure to thaw them before chopping.
2. Can I substitute the cream cheese with another type of cheese?
Yes, you can use other soft cheeses like Neufchatel or ricotta, but the flavor and texture may vary.
3. Can I make these wontons ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the wontons and refrigerate them for up to 24 hours before frying.
4. Can I freeze the wontons?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked wontons for up to 3 months. Just make sure to separate them with parchment paper before storing.
5. Can I bake the wontons instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the wontons in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Can I use a different dipping sauce?
Yes, you can try different sauces like plum sauce, hoisin sauce, or even a spicy peanut sauce.
7. Can I add vegetables to the filling?
Certainly! You can add finely chopped vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, or water chestnuts for extra crunch and flavor.
8. Can I make these wontons gluten-free?
Yes, you can find gluten-free wonton wrappers at specialty stores or make your own using gluten-free flour.
9. Can I use a different protein instead of shrimp?
Absolutely! You can substitute shrimp with chicken, ground pork, or even tofu.
10. Can I steam the wontons instead of frying them?
Yes, you can steam the wontons for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
11. Can I use store-bought wonton wrappers?
Yes, you can find wonton wrappers in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores.
These shrimp and cream cheese wontons are a crowd-pleasing appetizer that will impress your family and friends. With their crispy exterior and creamy, flavorful filling, they are sure to be a hit at any gathering. Give this easy recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness of homemade wontons!