Best Easy Shrimp and Grits Pappadeaux Recipe
Shrimp and grits is a classic Southern dish that combines the flavors of succulent shrimp and creamy grits. Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, a popular Cajun and Creole restaurant chain, has perfected this dish, and now you can recreate their famous recipe right in your own kitchen. This easy shrimp and grits Pappadeaux recipe is a delightful combination of flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
– 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 cup of stone-ground grits
– 4 cups of chicken broth
– 1 cup of heavy cream
– 4 tablespoons of butter
– 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
– 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped green onions for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Gradually whisk in the grits and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick and creamy.
2. In a separate skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp, minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
3. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Gradually stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
4. Divide the cooked grits among serving bowls. Top with the creamy cheese sauce and then the cooked shrimp. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and chopped green onions for added flavor and garnish.
1. Can I use instant grits instead of stone-ground grits?
Yes, you can use instant grits, but the texture and flavor may differ slightly.
2. Can I use frozen shrimp instead of fresh shrimp?
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp, just make sure to thaw them before cooking.
3. Can I substitute the heavy cream with milk?
Yes, you can substitute heavy cream with milk, but the sauce may be less creamy.
4. Can I omit the bacon from the recipe?
Yes, if you prefer a vegetarian version or do not eat pork, you can omit the bacon.
5. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, you can experiment with different cheeses like Monterey Jack, Swiss, or Gouda.
6. Can I make this recipe spicy?
Yes, you can add more Cajun seasoning or red pepper flakes to make it spicier.
7. Can I add vegetables to this dish?
Yes, you can add sautéed bell peppers, onions, or spinach for added flavor and nutrition.
8. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the grits and shrimp separately and assemble them just before serving.
9. Can I freeze the leftovers?
The dish is best enjoyed fresh, but you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
10. Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
Yes, you can use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.
11. Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can double or halve the recipe according to your needs, just adjust the quantities of the ingredients accordingly.