Best Easy Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor Recipe
If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine, then you must have tried Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor at some point. These delicious street-style tacos are packed with flavor and are incredibly easy to make. So, why not recreate this mouthwatering dish in the comfort of your own home? Here’s the best easy Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor recipe that you can try today!
– 1 lb pork shoulder, thinly sliced
– 1 cup pineapple juice
– ¼ cup white vinegar
– 2 tablespoons achiote paste
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Corn tortillas
– Chopped onion, cilantro, and pineapple for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine pineapple juice, white vinegar, achiote paste, minced garlic, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well to create a marinade.
2. Place the thinly sliced pork shoulder in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
3. Preheat a grill or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the marinated pork slices for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they are slightly charred and cooked through.
4. Warm the corn tortillas on the grill or skillet for about 30 seconds on each side.
5. Assemble the tacos by placing a few slices of the grilled pork on each tortilla. Top with chopped onions, cilantro, and pineapple.
6. Serve immediately and enjoy the burst of flavors!
1. Can I use a different cut of meat for Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor?
While pork shoulder is the traditional choice, you can also use pork loin or chicken as a substitute.
2. Can I make the marinade in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the marinade a day or two in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Can I use bottled pineapple juice instead of fresh?
Yes, bottled pineapple juice works just as well.
4. Can I use a grill pan instead of a grill?
Absolutely! A grill pan will give your pork slices the same charred flavor.
5. Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?
Corn tortillas are the classic choice for Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor, but you can use flour tortillas if you prefer.
6. Can I freeze the cooked pork slices?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked pork slices for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store them in an airtight container.
7. Can I add cheese to my Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor?
While cheese is not traditionally used in this recipe, you can certainly add some if you like.
8. Can I make these tacos without a grill or skillet?
If you don’t have a grill or skillet, you can cook the pork slices in the oven at 400°F for about 15-20 minutes.
9. Can I use a different type of vinegar?
White vinegar is the most commonly used, but you can experiment with apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar for a different flavor profile.
10. Can I add hot sauce for extra spice?
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite hot sauce or salsa to amp up the heat.
11. Can I make these tacos vegetarian?
Yes, you can substitute the pork with tofu or seitan for a vegetarian version of Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
With this easy Tacos El Gordo Al Pastor recipe, you can enjoy the authentic flavors of Mexico right at home. So gather your ingredients, fire up the grill or skillet, and get ready to savor the taste of these mouthwatering tacos!