Best Easy Tennessee Country Ham Recipe
If you are a fan of flavorful and succulent ham, then Tennessee country ham is a must-try for you. This salty and smoky ham is a Southern delicacy that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Here is a simple yet delicious recipe that will help you create the best Tennessee country ham in the comfort of your own kitchen.
– 1 Tennessee country ham (8-10 pounds)
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup honey
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. Soak the ham in water for 24 hours to remove excess saltiness. Change the water every 4-6 hours.
3. Rinse the ham thoroughly under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels.
4. Place the ham on a baking rack in a large roasting pan.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and honey until well combined.
6. Brush the mixture all over the ham, making sure to coat it evenly.
7. Cover the ham loosely with aluminum foil and bake for about 15 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C).
8. Remove the foil during the last 30 minutes of cooking to allow the ham to brown.
9. Once cooked, let the ham rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
1. Where can I buy Tennessee country ham?
You can find Tennessee country ham at specialty food stores or order it online.
2. Can I use a different type of ham for this recipe?
While this recipe is specifically designed for Tennessee country ham, you can try it with other types of ham as well.
3. How long should I soak the ham?
Soak the ham for 24 hours, changing the water every 4-6 hours.
4. Can I cook the ham without soaking it?
Soaking the ham helps remove excess saltiness, but if you prefer a saltier flavor, you can skip this step.
5. What can I serve with Tennessee country ham?
Tennessee country ham pairs well with biscuits, cornbread, collard greens, or mashed potatoes.
6. Can I use regular mustard instead of Dijon mustard?
Dijon mustard adds a unique flavor to the glaze, but you can substitute it with regular mustard if desired.
7. Can I use a slow cooker instead of the oven?
While it is possible to cook the ham in a slow cooker, the oven method yields better results.
8. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover ham for future use. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container before freezing.
9. How long will the leftover ham last in the fridge?
Properly stored, the leftover ham will last for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
10. Can I make this recipe without the glaze?
The glaze adds a delicious sweetness to the ham, but if you prefer it without, you can omit it.
11. Can I use this recipe for a smaller ham?
Yes, you can adjust the cooking time based on the weight of your ham. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches the appropriate internal temperature.