Best Easy Tom Lehmann New York Style Pizza Dough Recipe
New York-style pizza is renowned for its thin and crispy crust, and one of the key factors in achieving that perfect crust is the dough. Tom Lehmann, a renowned pizza expert, has shared his best easy recipe for New York-style pizza dough, and we’re here to guide you through it.
– 4 cups bread flour
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
– 1 ½ cups water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, salt, sugar, and instant dry yeast.
2. Slowly add the water to the mixture while stirring to form a rough dough.
3. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise for about 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
5. Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles and divide it into two equal portions.
6. Shape each portion into a ball and let them rest on a floured surface for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Preheat your oven to the highest temperature it can reach (usually around 500°F or 260°C).
8. Roll out each dough ball into a 12-inch circle, using a rolling pin or your hands.
9. Transfer the dough to a pizza peel or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
10. Add your favorite toppings, such as tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice.
11. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and melted.
12. Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Can I use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour?
Yes, but bread flour will give you a chewier texture.
2. How long can I store the dough?
You can store the dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
3. Can I use active dry yeast instead of instant dry yeast?
Yes, but you’ll need to activate it in warm water before adding it to the dough.
4. Can I make the dough in a bread machine?
Yes, simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions for pizza dough.
5. Can I use a pizza stone instead of a baking sheet?
Yes, a pizza stone can help achieve a crispier crust.
6. Can I make the dough gluten-free?
Yes, by using gluten-free flour and adjusting the water and yeast ratios.
7. Can I add herbs or spices to the dough?
Yes, feel free to experiment with adding herbs or spices to enhance the flavor.
8. Can I use this dough for thick-crust pizza?
No, this recipe is specifically for New York-style thin crust.
9. Can I use this dough to make calzones?
Yes, simply shape the dough into a calzone and bake it accordingly.
10. Can I use this dough for deep-dish pizza?
No, this dough is not suitable for deep-dish pizza.
11. Can I use this dough for grilled pizza?
Yes, just preheat your grill and cook the pizza dough on it until it is crispy and cooked through.
Now armed with this easy recipe and answers to common questions, you can confidently make delicious New York-style pizza at home. Enjoy!