Best Easy Torta Di Ceci Recipe
Torta di Ceci, also known as Farinata, is a delicious Italian dish made from chickpea flour. It is a simple and easy recipe that is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal. With its crispy edges and soft, custard-like center, this savory pancake is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Here is the best easy Torta Di Ceci recipe that you can try at home.
– 1 cup chickpea flour
– 1 cup water
– 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for greasing)
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Freshly ground black pepper
– Optional toppings: rosemary, thinly sliced onions, cherry tomatoes, or grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, olive oil, salt, and a pinch of black pepper until smooth. Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
2. Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Grease a round baking dish or cast-iron skillet with olive oil.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared dish, spreading it out evenly. If desired, sprinkle your choice of toppings on the surface.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and crispy, and the center is set.
5. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into wedges. Serve warm.
1. Can I use canned chickpeas instead of chickpea flour?
No, chickpea flour is essential for this recipe as it creates the unique texture and flavor of Torta Di Ceci.
2. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, chickpea flour is naturally gluten-free, making this recipe suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
3. Can I make Torta Di Ceci ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the batter in advance and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. Just give it a good stir before baking.
4. What can I serve with Torta Di Ceci?
It pairs well with a fresh salad, roasted vegetables, or even as a side dish with grilled meats.
5. Can I freeze Torta Di Ceci?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked Torta Di Ceci. Allow it to cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months.
6. Can I substitute olive oil with another oil?
While olive oil adds a distinct flavor, you can use other cooking oils like vegetable or canola oil if desired.
7. How do I reheat Torta Di Ceci?
Simply place the sliced Torta Di Ceci in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.
8. Can I add other toppings to the Torta Di Ceci?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with your favorite toppings like caramelized onions, sun-dried tomatoes, or even sliced olives.
9. Is Torta Di Ceci vegan-friendly?
Yes, this recipe is naturally vegan as it doesn’t contain any animal products.
10. Can I use a different type of flour?
While the traditional recipe calls for chickpea flour, you can experiment with other flours like cornmeal or rice flour for a different twist.
11. Can I make Torta Di Ceci in a skillet on the stovetop?
Yes, you can cook the Torta Di Ceci on a stovetop using a well-greased skillet. Cook it over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.