Now that we’ve got the big activities out of the way, time for some classic Thinking Out Loud about my Colorado vacation.
1. By now I’m sure you’ve heard the song “Closer” a million and one times. Well, it wasn’t until I was actually IN Boulder that I realized the song says “roommate back in Boulder.” Which makes me wonder what the heck I was saying before (I’m kind of awful with song lyrics). We dubbed it the song of the trip…Sirius XM likes to play it every 5 minutes.
2. I’m a sucker for a good health trend. Green juices, kombucha, acai bowls, etc. I typically want to try everything at least once before judging. One thing I won’t try yet? This facial.
I sent this photo to my sister and tried to convince her that I did it. It’s along the lines of something I would actually do so she was genuinely concerned. They mix the breast milk with clay and apparently it’s an effective exfoliator and skin-smoother. Mud Facial Bar has locations in Chicago and Boulder. Thoughts??
3. On a more serious note, I was very concerned about my foot going into the trip. Even though I wore my new custom orthotics and my doctor gave me the all-clear, I have a tendency (in life) to over-analyze things. I don’t think it’s bad to be very aware of your body, especially when something doesn’t feel right, but I’ve become hyper-aware. Meaning, any pain is a stress fracture in my mind. (I’m working on that). Surprisingly, my foot felt pretty good! Other parts of my body are still off from over-compensating (I think) so I’m addressing those now. We obviously didn’t go crazy with hiking or walking but it felt good to move a bit.
4. I was also concerned about the altitude in Colorado. We went on a family trip to the Beaver Creek/Vail area a few years ago and I didn’t have a problem then, but hyper-aware me was still worried. Whatdoyaknow…I was fine. We did drink tons of water and didn’t do intense cardio, so that might have helped.
5. Other than the activities I mentioned on Tuesday, we spent one day actually in Denver exploring. Truthfully, we did most of our exploring in one specific place: The Cherry Creek Mall. In our defense, it was a rainy day so shopping fit the bill. We rode bikes in the morning along the river, ended at the mall and Ubered back later. We loved the Cherry Creek area…outdoor shopping, a nice indoor mall and a huge Whole Foods.
6. Speaking of Whole Foods…I went to four different locations during the trip. FOUR. I have an unhealthy obsession. If you’re curious, the best one was on Pearl Street in Boulder. Cherry Creek was the runner-up.
I know all Whole Foods have a “grind your own nut butter” station, but I’ve NEVER seen them offer this many options.
7. How pretty is this flight of juice shots? My mom sent this picture to her wine-loving friends and said “this is what Emily makes me drink!” My favorite was the red (beet, apple, ginger, lime) and orange (carrot, pineapple, cucumber, lemon, basil).
8. And with one last picture of the mountains, I think I’ve covered it all.
Join the conversation:
Breast milk facial….thoughts?!
Do you tend to overthink situations or go with the flow?
Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie says
I just can’t with the breast milk facial!! Who even thought to try that is what I want to know! haha. It looks like you had such a good trip and those views still are stunning. I need to find good hiking places around me!
Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…So What If I Love Cardio?
Yes you must go hiking! I’ll live vicariously through you down here in the flat lands haha
Susie @ SuzLyfe says
So i’ve walked by their Chicago location several times and I remember being like WTF with the breast milk facial. I told Alex about it, and I thought he was going to wretch! They don’t advertise it here anymore… lol…
Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…I Don’t Get It : Thoughts From a Music Festival
I was going to ask you if you’ve seen the Chicago location! Yeah I wouldn’t advertise it much either…
The facial no thanks! Colorado is such a beautiful place. We visited years ago and I would love to go back. We only spent an afternoon in Boulder but I loved Colorado Springs and Vail while we were there.
Overthinking happens! I do it all of the time especially at work related situations.
Kristin recently posted…Let The Games Begin – Rio 2016 & My Gymnastics Obsession
I want to go back and explore Vail (and surrounding towns)!
Heather @Lunging Through Life says
Oh my gosh a breast milk facial!? I don’t think I could do it, haha. So funny your mom texts her friends what you make her drink, lol. Literally laughed at that one.
Heather @Lunging Through Life recently posted…When our big things really aren’t that big
They asked if she added vodka to the juices haha. Ironically, the restaurant did offer that as a drink!
Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday says
No to breast milk on my face. No no no. I love that you went to four Whole Foods locations on your trip. I’ve been to three in the past week, but that’s just a function of their proximity to wherever I was that day. Still did very thorough walk-throughs at each one, though :) Aaand yes to overthinking. Absolutely everything.
Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #64
We only have one close to me (in my day-to-day life) so having such variety was a treat. Even though I *might* still do full walk throughs every time I go…
Ewww… A breast milk facial just doesn’t sound right. And that’s so cool that you got to visit 4 Whole Foods; they all seem to be so far away from us, but I think I need to get to one soon and grind up some of that nut butter.
I do overthink situations, especially when I go traveling, and then when I get there I realize that I didn’t really need to worry about it.
Where do you live in Colorado? I feel like I saw at least 3 more Whole Foods while we were driving.
Diana @ Live Lean Eat Green says
I’ve been dying to take a trip to Colorado! It just looks absolutely beautiful and I love how health conscious it is! So glad you had a great trip!
Diana @ Live Lean Eat Green recently posted…The Only Chicken Parmesan Recipe You’ll Ever Need
Highly recommend! Being active is part of the lifestyle there…so nice to see and join in.
Mollie Sweet says
As someone who struggled to produce milk for my daughter, that bm facial makes me kind of mad. Save the milk for the babies who need it. Bleh. Your trip looks AMAZING and we share that WF obsession. We took a trip to Nebraska to visit my husband’s family last weekend and out first stop, Omaha WF! They had the BEST Asian inspired hot food bar I’ve seen–pho, noodle bowls, sushi, rice bowls= DELCIOUS. I’m glad everything went well on your trip!
Mollie Sweet recently posted…Pregnancy Workouts and Miles-Week 25
I feel the same way (and I’m not a breast-feeding mom…or a mom). And YAY for a great Whole Foods. I’m in my element just exploring the aisles.
Breast Milk Facial – uh NO.
Overthinking – uh YES.
you are making me think of colorado as a vaca spot ! i have a friend who we meet each year at a place and she keeps wanting to go to colorado and i keep saying eh…no. im afraid she will be having me drive all over the place etc. she is a very adventurous traveler in the sense that she likes to see EVERYTHING. i like to pick a few things and spend time at those places. shes more of an i’ve seen it check it off the list person and i want to marinate in it and sit and have some drinks and people watch for 4 hours. oddly vaca is the one place i dont overplan and overextend myself. thats more for real life. it looks like an awesome trip. so glad you enjoyed. bookmarking for the future :)
I feel the same way about traveling. I like to spend time planning only a few activities and then just explore those areas (and wing it!). That’s what we did and it worked out really well!
Sarah @pickyrunner says
I want to go to Colorado so badly!!! This looks like such a great vacation and I’m with you on overanalyzing everything. It seems like you had a nice balance of everything on this trip.
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Workouts 8/29-9/4
If we had one more day I wanted to drive to Wyoming because it’s only 2 hours away haha.
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
Bahaha….the trends will never end…well I hope that’s not really a trend…just a weird option that will quietly fade away :O
All those nut butter options :O I don’t think I would leave!
And overthinking, not going with the flow….yup, that’s me!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Magic Medicine: How-To Make Easy Homemade Sauerkraut
I could have spent hours just wandering through that Whole Foods. So many cool products that I don’t have at my location!
oh wow, I would not get a breast milk facial haha
and I really do try to go with the flow, but sometimes I am such a planner. That is naturally who I am! But going with the flow is really good for my soul :)
Alyssa recently posted…Thinking out Loud 9/8/16: Life Update
Beautiful pictures! I wish I could find my way back to Colorado, but not for a breast milk facial. I think I had enough of those when my children were nursing and missed the let down.
AmberLynn recently posted…Throwback TOLT – Thinking About Thursdays
Haha I think that’s the general consensus!
I love the song “Closer!” It’s so fun to listen and dance to :) Now I wanna go to Boulder, haha.
Edye recently posted…Get To Know Me: 25 Questions
There are fun remixes of the song too!
Annalise Mishler says
I’d try a breast milk facial! Lots of people actually drink breast milk and it’s great for you. I don’t know that I would drink it, but if it was on my face then why not!
Annalise Mishler recently posted…on perfectionism
If I had a skin irritation and was looking for a cure, there’s a chance I would try it. I’m not in that place now so the idea was foreign.
Georgie @ Healthy Pears says
no to breast milk facials – just weird! yes to Colorado though, looks amazing!
I’m with you! It was an incredible trip.
Kristy from Southern In Law says
Wait.. what… breast milk facial? Do they have like… breast milk donaters? Salespeople? Where do they get it from? That is gross.
Ummmmmm and I kind of want that grind your own nut butter station IN MY HOUSE!
Kristy from Southern In Law recently posted…Recent Things: Thankfulness, Sunshine and Wants
I think there is one woman who donates the milk for the two facilities. It’s a strange concept but apparently some people do it!
And yes, I do too!