Well, it’s officially move-out/move-in day. Depending on what time you’re reading this I’m either packing my car in Tampa, driving down I 75, or unpacking in Miami. To say I’m dreading the 4.5 hour drive alone is an understatement. I know it’s really not that long but I make, no lie, 3 turns the entire ride. But I do have some ideas to keep me busy (*while focusing on the road, of course). Tons of things running through my mind, perfect day for Thinking Out Loud. Thanks, Amanda!
1. Idea #1 for keeping me busy: Ellen DeGeneres’ book Seriously…I’m Kidding. Amazon has a free audiobook download and I loaded it onto my phone for some entertainment. I have to give credit to my mom for this idea. Will let you know how it is!
2. Idea #2: Podcasts. I have a few lined up (Jillian Michaels and NPR) but would love any suggestions!
3. One thing I’m NOT looking forward to about Miami: the return of awful traffic and drivers. Miami drivers don’t use blinkers so I’m convinced something must be wrong with their cars…Oh and traffic here does not happen only at rush hour. It seems like every time I hit the major roads (which is often), there is bumper-to-bumper traffic. It requires a lot of deep breathing!
4. My mom knows how much I love her cooking and how busy I would be at the start of school so she made me dinners for a few nights! A few days ago she cooked a bunch of chicken and stuck it in the freezer. So all I have to do is put it in my freezer in Miami and reheat as needed. Don’t know why we haven’t done this before.
5. Thanksgiving in August? The last dinner at home.
6. Of all the things I have on my mind about going back to school, actual school is not one of them. I haven’t ordered my books, looked at my syllabi, gotten supplies, etc. Wish I could blame it on senioritis, but I’m not quite there yet. I’ll get my act together eventually and go all OCD planning and labeling.
7. I have new roommates this year and I’m nervous/excited to see what apartment-life will be with them. Last year wasn’t the most comfortable living situation so I’m hopeful for a big improvement.
8. I’m really looking forward to Sunday because Thursday-Saturday are jam-packed. KIND events, an all-day orientation for my other on-campus job, unpacking and club meetings. If I’m being honest, the chaos won’t die down until September but I guess being busy is better than the alternative. Less time to feel homesick.
9. Room decor courtesy of one of my best friends.
10. Saying goodbye to this guy is the hardest thing. Good thing I’ll see you in just 3 weeks.
Talk to you from the 305!
Any other audiobook or podcast recommendations?
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says
You should listen to Balanced Bites podcasts with Danielle!
Oh, I’ve heard of Balanced Bites but haven’t listened. I will check it out!
You have one awesome Mom! I won’t lie & say I’m not looking forward to when my Mom takes over cooking for a little once our little ones arrive. Haha!
I do No matter how old someone is, mom’s cooking is the best! That’s so nice that your mom will be helping you out when the twins arrive (ah!)…freeze some of the meals for when she leaves!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. says
Moms are the freaking best. I remember my mom actually cooking chicken for me and bringing it over when I first moved out because I was too skeeved out by raw meat to make it myself Don’t know what I’d do without her. And is it just me, or is one of the best things about starting a new school year going and writing down all the tests and assignments in your planner? Colour-coded, of course
Organizing my planner is seriously so fun. But actually taking the tests I write down in the planner, not so much haha.
Ahh safe travels!! I love when my mom does that for me. I’m hoping she makes some food for me this weekend while she’s here but something tells me I won’t be that lucky I think in a lot of ways the busyness of a new semester is kind of nice because it helps distract you- that’s how I always felt at least. This August seems especially busy though- I literally haven’t had a chance to stop moving since I moved here and my next free moment isn’t until mid-september! Insane. I can’t wait to hear all about your new apartment/life at school and crossing my fingers it’s a good year for you!!
Thank you! Completely agree- busyness is a good distraction. I may crave the alternative and want my alone time but I know that’s not the best right now. Hope you’re having fun with your family!
[email protected] says
I’ve been wanting to read that book since it came out. But now I know you can get a free download I’ll be sure to listen to it.
The audiobook was so good! It felt like Ellen was in the car with me haha.